Can dental local antibiotic cause C-Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Can dental local antibiotic cause C-Diff

Postby Ali-Mar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:26 am

Hi All, I am 54 and first time contracting C Diff.
I contracted C - Diff on Feb 5, 2020 while traveling in US. I haven’t had any oral or IV antibiotics since 2016 when I took 14 days of oral antibiotic for H Pylori. However, I have been seeing a dental hygienist for deep cleaning 3 times per year and every time, she uses a localized Antibiotics spraying on my gum using a syringe, after she is done cleaning. Can that localized antibiotic cause C Diff? I am trying to figure out how and why I got C Diff.

I was healthily before the C-Diff no prescription medication at all. I was taking Prilosec for heartburn as needed maybe 4 or 5 times per month, Advil for headache as need it, also few times per month, it and sometimes Allegra for allergies.

What do you think?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Can dental local antibiotic cause C-Diff

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:29 am

I don't know what to tell you . She used a lot of antibiotic solution? Did you spit it out after lavage, or swallowed ?

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:42 am

I didn’t think it was a lot, hard to tel but I think it was less than half of a syringe. I don’t remember scowling it but I am sure I didn't spit it out, as I was on my back
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:48 pm

Just called my dentist office; they said, they inject Arestin antibiotic under gum, that release over period of two weeks, she said Arestin is Doxycycline 50 mg

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:46 pm

Doxycycline is a low offender for c diff. I have taken the tablets and did not relapse. I don't know anything about that method of administering or how much of it goes systemic. Maybe it depends on dose too. I know that several people, myself included, had problems with topical clindamycin, but that is a much stronger antibiotic.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”