Possible drugs to treat covid-19

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
JTLA
New User

Possible drugs to treat covid-19

Postby JTLA » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:44 am

Hello. I live in NY state which has the highest number of covid-19 cases in the United States. The below quote from a White House (federal government) briefing discusses the possible use of two drugs to treat covid-19. Has anyone with CD taken chloroquine without negative effects? Thank you.

“Those are two that are out now, essentially approved for prescribed use,” Trump said of the antiviral drug Remsdesivir, which has never been approved by the FDA for any disease, and the drug chloroquine, which has only been approved to treat malaria and some arthritis. Neither is approved for COVID-19."

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possible drugs to treat covid-19

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:45 pm

I have taken the second one, in a combination with another drug, as an anti malarial when I went to Africa a few months ago. It is safe. But it is too soon to know if either of these drugs will work against COVID-19.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:21 pm

I just got an update from a friend in UK that got coronavirus. He could hardly breathe and had very sharp pains in his chest and had high fever. He took hydroxychloroquine and his fever broke and his breathing is much better. He doesn't know if it was the drug or if it would have happened anyway, but that is what he reported.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:49 pm

There is no way to know at this point. The drugs are in controlled studies. That is the only way to know if they work or not. We will have results before too long. Let’s hope for the best.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:52 pm

One of the drugs is usually combined with a zpak - believe used in treating malaria,

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 am

The official treatment protocol in Romania is :- Kaletra (combo of 2 antivirals used to treat HIV witch was the most effective ) 2tb / 12 h apart (10 days)for asymptomatic carriers.
-For mild infection, no pneumonia: Kaletra (same dosage -10 days ) along with Tamiflu 2tb/day(5 days) , also chloroquine 400mg twice / days (5 days)
-For mild pneumonia : same treatment as the one that is given for mild infection along with iv Methylprednisolon .
Monoclonal antibody as Tocilizumab and Iv Remdesivir is reserved for severe ICU cases along with treatment for life support , IOT , etc. .

Oooh , i am SO greatful that i do not work in ICU anymore , although i may be redistributed there at any moment!

JTLA
New User

Postby JTLA » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:01 am

Thank you Ril, Beth, Bobbie and Georgina for your input. I have also recently heard of hydroxychloroquine with zithromax discussed as an emerging treatment. I am a 68yo female, live alone and over my lifetime have survived bloodclots, breast cancer and a brain aneurysm. A CDI, now resolved, was the cherry on top. I find knowledge comforting and appreciate your sharing yours with me.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:24 pm

I understand that they are doing controlled studies, but I have also read that some doctors have tried different things. One in either Washington or northern CA gave the HIV drugs that you mentioned, Georgina to a patient that was very sick and he recovered. Maybe for very sick people that might not make it otherwise, doctors would try this. I don't really know. My friend lives in London. His doctor prescribed it for him there.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”