Antibiotic free meat??

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Student4
New User

Antibiotic free meat??

Postby Student4 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:27 am

Hi everyone,

Recently I’ve been struggling with going out to eat with friends and family because I’m afraid of eating meat that isn’t antibiotic free. Is this a valid thing to be afraid about? So far, I’ve only eaten antibiotic free chicken and haven’t even touched red meat since my relapse. Just wondering what are everyone’s thoughts on this because I miss eating out but also enjoy not having cdiff 100x more. Thank you all.

-The student

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Antibiotic free meat??

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:58 pm

Student4,
Good idea to avoid antibiotic treated food but probably impossible to do when eating out. I compromise by using antibiotic free at home and not worrying about it when eating out.

Student4
New User

Postby Student4 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:36 pm

thank you Bobbie, I’ll try to follow this rule when I’m further along in my recovery. I don’t want cdiff to dictate my life but I also know it’s better safe than sorry when it comes to this weird bacteria. I appreciate the response.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:35 am

Honestly, I didn't learn about how significant antibiotic free meat was till weeks after my last dose of medication so eating a little is okay. Like Bobbie, I now only use antibiotic and grassfed/free range products at my home. Unfortunately you can't always get that when you're out. Also if you're uncomfortable look for other options on menus since a lot of places have soups, vegan foods, and substitutes nowadays.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:46 am

Sorry to say I never bothered with this and it never gave me any problem. It depends upon how crazy you want to get about it. It can’t hurt, it’s probably better for you, but I wouldn’t make it my life’s work. Finding foods that don’t agree with you is probably the most important.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:38 am

I agree. I don’t look at labels, more so price tags. I try and not let the fact that I had montezumas revenge on steroids rule my everyday life. I suppose “organic” and “antibiotic free” are healthier but it seems like a lot of work lol.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm

D1dàd,
Whatever "floats your boat." I don't obsess about it but we eat out a lot so do read labels sometimes when I shop.

There are no easy answers with can diff. It has impacted all our lives.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:10 pm

It’s not so much that it “floats my boat”. Eating organic and antibiotic free costs a lot of money and not all grocery stores are Whole Foods. I’ve got 2 boys who eat like billy goats and the affordable options for an individual or even 2, aren’t with a family of 5.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”