Does vanco firm things and stop when coming off of it?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Does vanco firm things and stop when coming off of it?

Postby hledgess » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:24 am

New day new question or thought .. so I have had the best stool consistently since I’ve been on vanco since I had c diff the first time 4 years ago.. does vanco firm things up in general? I’m trying to figure out why I have D now that I’m on every other day.. I would have D one day after going down a dose but then it would be snake like and slowly be hard again.. I’m just really confused and nauseous and bloated and in pain.. and my dr just says take the next week taper and wait two months.. but I have symptoms .. so I figured I’d ask if anyone knew about vanco bc I had D in the past w out testing positive so why am I having D now if I’m getting better .. smell is there n everything n the dr I saw just hurried and ran out the door
Last edited by hledgess on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roy
Administrator

Re: Does vanco constipate?

Postby roy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:38 pm

You will have to rephrase your post.
Your asking about constipation and also saying you have D!
Cant have both!

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Re: Does vanco constipate?

Postby hledgess » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:34 pm

Ok I have Diarrhea.. but when I was in vanco daily I didn’t .. the dr says I had ibs before c diff and I don’t have a gall bladder so he wouldn’t expect me to have hard / normal stool .. but.. I did the entire time while on vanco besides when I dosed down then I would have it a few days before it formed up .. now I’m every other day.. and I have diarrhea a couple times a day and scared to eat while at work.. so my question is why would I be normal on vanco but not as soon as I start to come off of it ?

roy
Administrator

Re: Does vanco firm things and stop when coming off of it?

Postby roy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:55 pm

I have lost count of the times you have said you had IBS for many years before c.diff.
Your Drs tried to tell you that this is all your personal normal and your not sick but your still looking for reasons to stress out about c.diff.
Sometimes tough love is best so here goes.
Almost certainly you dont have a c.diff infection.
Almost certainly you did not need treatment.
Almost certainly you pressurised your Dr into treating.
Almost certainly your main health problem is anxiety related.
Almost certainly your going to drive yourself (and us) absolutely bonkers if you keep stressing about anything except having 100% perfect turds once a day!
If you start having an involuntary waterfall flowing from your butt several times a day (love that description) you need to start worrying.
Almost anything else is by your own admission (in earlier posts) typical of your normal BMs for at least the last 5 years.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:13 pm

My dr didn’t say I don’t have c diff.. they definitely think I have it bc they have made me be on medicine for 3 months .. I would hope they wouldn’t treat me for something I don’t have.. and I didn’t say anything about c diff .. my dr just wanted to test me for everything as he exhausted all other things it could be so when my yeast cane back positive they treated .. I also got better within a few days of the medicine and felt better .. why would I be better if it wasn’t that

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:16 am

Some people have looser stools after finishing vanco and others don't. Vanco first firmed up my bms after the WD of c diff, but after a few days, it became looser and then when I stopped better. But others have reported the opposite. Everyone is different and IBS can go back and forth from D to C. If you are concerned, ask your doctor. If you don't test positive for c diff, then you don't have an active infection. The infection causes damage to your GI tract and you can have all kinds of issues for a long time. Also, it gave me and others food intolerances that they did not have before. Maybe start a food journal and see if there is any kind of pattern depending on what you eat.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:09 am

Seems that your doing well and right on track. Don’t let the mind get in the way.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:42 am

Your BMs will be all over the place. Cdiff causes colitis and that causes swelling, pain, and your BMs will be all over the poo scale it will be like this for a long time unfortunately because the colon is slow to heal.

Beth is right, watch what you eat. If I eat 1 wrong thing I am in the bathroom and in pain for days. Bland foods are your friend. Also, eat a little fiber. My doctor told me to eat a banana with every meal to keep things firm, I only eat one a day and occasionally I will have 1/4 cup of oatmeal, but again it depends if I am flaring or not.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks for all the info! So I take my last pill tomorrow.. last night I started feeling super bloated and gassy that made my heart race.. I’ve been going normal stool in the late afternoon now.. I was eating all day even with the cough I have. Just got Flonase and hope that helps the drainage .. but that’s my update .. I feel awful with the cough and terrible with gas and bloating that I really hope passes bc those were my very first symptoms as to why I went to the DR before the D started ..

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:34 pm

You are also exhibiting signs of anxiety. Did it ever occur to you that as soon as you realize that you are about to finish the medication the GI symptoms worsen? You know that there is a relationship between your emotions and your GI system. You have to try to stay calm and control your anxiety or you will never be able to tell the difference between a relapse and regular d. You should not be relapsing while still taking the vanco when you were fine a day or 2 ago...it would be unusual.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 am

I think that was anxiety induced bc my bm were fine and I had been reading about the coronavirus all day for two days .. I am done with the medication though now and would be taking it today.. I’m worried though bc my belly hurts and Is grumbling .. I’ve thought about taking one every two days and then once a week or something just to get over not having to have it throughout this pandemic but I think that’s probably not necessary.. I’m just worried I’ll relapse now that meds are done.. I did so well on it! Never have had such good poos in so many years .. didn’t even go on Friday .. I have taken 3 vsl3 a day, Manuka honey on the days I didn’t take the pill.. that’s gone too.. l-glutamine once a day and of course vitamin d3 to boost immune system.. I’ll still do all of that.. I have floraster but doesn’t seem to work for me.. Vsl is amazing .. pray I stay ok! Bc the way it feels in my gut it doesn’t feel good

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:23 pm

Don't overdo the probiotics. They can give gas and cause GI upset too.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:37 pm

Good luck Heldgess , hope all goes well. I finished my last Vanco on Friday March 20, (2 days ago) And keeping my fingers crossed . I take two VSL 3 a day , I still have abdominal pain and crumping, I wake up many times last night BC of gas sometimes and sometimes because my baby and ring finger will get numb.. I am also worried about relapse hope all goes will for all of us.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”