Post-Dificid Reaction

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Student4
New User

Post-Dificid Reaction

Postby Student4 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:55 am

Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing really bad stomach issues after finishing my course of dificid 5 days ago. I noticed I was getting better after being on it and even days after finishing. But yesterday my D came back and I have very bad abdominal pain. I couldn’t even move from bed today but I don’t want to get tested again for cdiff because of my PTSD with doctors. Is this a case of post cdiff IBS? I don’t think it returned because my relapses have always been 2+ weeks after finishing the courses of Vancomycin. Did anyone else experience this?

Thank you for the help everyone.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Post-Dificid Reaction

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:24 am

If you have frequent D ,along with abdominal pain you should see your doctor. There is no typical time frame for a relapse , it can happen anytime from 72 hours to several weeks . If the pain is constant and the frequency is higher then 3 times per day it might be a relapse .

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Agree with Georgina, check with your doctor if D continues and increases. My first treatment was Vanco, although I did not tolerate it well, I went 3 weeks until I relapsed. Every treatment after I was on Dificid (a total of 3 separate Dificid courses.) I did well on Dificid and felt great on it, but I would relapse a week after finishing, which was surprising.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Student4,

Agree. Call doc as we cannot treat or diagnose'. Agree, so tired of docs. BUT no choice. Let us know.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:42 pm

They shouldn’t test you but will evaluate your symptoms. Cramps are one thing but severe pains is something else. Frequency of d is key. One or 2 episodes is not unusual but if it is more frequent you need to follow up with your dr.

Student4
New User

Postby Student4 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:15 pm

Hey everyone,

So far so good with my treatment. The D stopped almost entirely even though I have loose stools which I think is expected after Dificid. I also have pain after I eat which is unbearable sometimes including nausea, but nothing as bad as c.diff. I’m now 10 days post-dificid and Im almost hitting my furthest mark without relapsing since my first initial relapse. I know it’s not much but it’s something to celebrate so far.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:53 am

Student, I am 2 weeks out of dificid and my stool are still not normal but getting close. I still have the pain after eating (mine about three hours later though) and I still have nausea after eating too but I notice it with new foods or big meals. So it sounds like the same healing course. My motto right now is one day at a time. Some days are better than others.

Student4
New User

Postby Student4 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:07 am

Hey Spike,

I’m noticing this with my healing process too. I’ve decided to eat smaller portioned meals and to change my probiotic to one strain LGG instead of numerous bacterias which caused me to have abdominal pain, gas, and D. My stool is still very loose some days and other days it’s normal. I’m glad I have a healing buddy right now so I don’t feel so alone. Keep me posted on your progress!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:34 pm

We call stool during recovery a “new normal”. Don’t expect it to look like it did before c diff and don’t let that scare you. It’s fine as long as you don’t go back to that watery d 3 or more times per day. As far as nausea, I had that for a long time during recovery. One of our mods used sea bands successfully. I used cola syrup, which is not supposed to work but did help me. Small frequent meals were better than big meals. It might take longer but eventually you will get well.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:41 pm

I pretty much had to go back to a BRAT diet when I was done with my taper. Tolerating food got worse, not better. I had D most of the time which resulted in a lot of bloating and nausea. Everything I ate just passed right through me; I lost 40 lbs and a lot of my hair. My ID recommended I eat lentils with rice and turmeric because of their anti-inflammatory properties. I'm 7-8 weeks out now and it's amazing how much better I feel. Nausea and bloating are mostly gone, and my energy is picking up. My diet is still pretty limited, but I am finally processing food and getting nutrition.

Student4
New User

Postby Student4 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:07 am

Thank y’all so much for the response. I also went on the BRAT diet too Betsy and have finally began to stop feeling pain at all times. I noticed that what I eat drastically changes how I feel so I must pay more attention to it. I am starting to feel that I relapsed because I didn’t take care of my body as I thought my immune system would help me out—BAD IDEA! But now with more knowledge about cdiff I can hopefully defeat it. I appreciate all of the feedback.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:31 am

Keeping a bland diet in early recovery is very important .You need to eat easy to digest foods and to stay away from offenders like alcohol , sugar ,fast foods , high fiber , dairy products (especially the products made with cow milk,highly inflammatory casein). Some had good results with the FODMAP diet , worth looking into it.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:31 pm

Some people are lucky and seem to be able to tolerate anything, but the majority of us have to eat as Georgina suggested. It took me over a year to tolerate fiberous vegetables like salads, or any alcohol. When you start adding new foods add them one at a time so you know what you are tolerating well...or not. It comes with time.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”