When do things start improving / what helps

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
leegx
New User

When do things start improving / what helps

Postby leegx » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:24 am

Hey there, I've been reading the forums for weeks now since testing positive for C-diff and it's been a fantastic help to know I'm not alone.
I'm 26 year old male. It all started late December, where I noticed several trips for watery BM, a racing heart rate and stomach cramps. This all happened in Thailand on the second day of my vacation. I went to ER hospital and they treated me with drip fluids for dehydration and did bloods etc however could find nothing wrong. No stool samples were taken.
I started to feel better, then a few days later, the exact same symptoms reoccured. Again, similar symptoms where I picked up and fell ill again. I decided at this point, 9th January to fly back to the UK. I was taken into ER again, treated for dehydration and was told it's a stomach bug - "there's nothing we can do" I again picked up and fell ill again..
At this point, the hospital diagnosed me for anxiety and basically ended at that. However I was having up to 10+ watery BM in one day!
I dropped in 4 stool samples in at the doctor's and eventually one test picked up that I had C-diff (around 8th February) and they started me on Flagyl (2 week course, horrible drug). This really didn't help, however the hospital at this point said my heart palpitations, stomach pain etc was down to anxiety and they could not longer treat me as C-diff couldn't cause palpitations.
Nothing improved on Flagyl though, if anything I felt worse (constantly dizzy).
Finally this week I got a call with a positive test with toxins. I was immediately started on Vanco 6 week taper course. I feel like I'm starting to pick up abit.

When does it get better? I was 12 stone 7 pounds in December and now down to 9 stone.

1. Im still getting heart palpitations throughout the day - Hospital have done several EKG, endo scans and just pick up the fast heart rate. Do people have experience with these eventually resolving? Anything that can help resolve them? I'm on a beta blocker now to help however I'm still getting the odd pounding beats. Heart rate is much better.

Doctor's continue to tell me that C-diff has nothing to do with my heart rate, however after reading the forums I'm so pleased I'm not alone! I even had one doctor sent me away for anxiety alone despite the dehydration and constant BM.

I feel constantly tired, headaches, stomach cramps (upper left side), constant gas (following eating). If I lay down after eating I get a build up of tightness in the left side of my chest.
BM have much improved now since starting Vanco.

2. Are there any vitamins, foods, drinks that can help to resolve the tiredness and feel somewhat normal? I pushed the doctors to do bloods for magnesium and B12 (awaiting results).

3. Anything to help the pain when laying / sitting down after eating? I get relief when standing up.

Spike
Contributor

Re: When do things start improving / what helps

Postby Spike » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:31 pm

Sorry you have to be here but welcome. I had a high heart rate when I first had c diff (didnt know it at the time for almost a month). They said its dehydration despite me being hydrated. I was sitting at 120 for almost a month. They said keep drinking water and it will go down. I was first started on questran ( for one to two month) and heart rate wwnt down sometime during that time. Eventually I was treated with dificid after getting a 2nd opinion and a second stool test (both positive but never treated the first time) It was almost three month until I was finally treated. It took until day 7 of the 10 med just to be able to get out of bed and move. After that I slowly began to improve. I was deficient with vitamin d and that helped when I started to supplement as well. I don't have any advise with your meds but I know plenty here do. It may take some time for the vanco to kick in. In the mean time rest when you can and eat what helps. If you want walk some that might help. I am a week and half post meds and it still a rollwr foster of up and downs. Hang in there.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:23 pm

Leegx.

Welcome to the site. Pls read the first forum on the site's history and the rules of posting.

Talk to your doc about pain relief. I use Tylenol and two heating pads. Try lying on your left side curled in a fetal position.

Most c diff authorities no longer recommend the use of Flagyl - ineffective with nasty side effects.

Again, welcome. Keep posting.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:18 am

For pain management you can discuss with you doctor about antispasmodics , and as Bobbie said ,a heathing pad always helps.
Most of us were deficient in vitamin D ,some were also deficient in B12 as well, you can either check the levels of Vit D in the blood or you just can start taking a supplement of Vit D.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:23 am

I would have your electrolytes checked as well. Low potassium can cause fast heartbeats and D can cause low potassium. Some posters have reported that vanco gave them low potassium, although I don't know how common that is. I was already on a beta blocker when I got c diff and my heart raced too. While on the vanco, it improved, so I do think that c diff has something to do with it. Your body fighting off an infection may have something to do with it as well. When I get a virus I usually have a racing pulse or with a fever. The bacteria itself can cause problems. I agree with you that it is most likely not anxiety, although of course, it doesn't help. Hopefully, with the vanco you will get better, but I would have your iron levels, vitamin D and electrolytes checked too.

leegx
New User

Postby leegx » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:55 pm

Thanks everyone. Waiting on the results from the doctor now. Will update once received.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:34 pm

Beaching and heart palpitations and high hr is how I knew something was off even before I had diarrhea.. I just started getting the gas and palps last night and had D today .. I’m super scared as I’m done w vanco taper in just a few pills .. next Friday I’m done .. I see the Sr today to see what they wanna do.. so scared

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:40 pm

Yeah I’m no doctor but can tell you first hand that pounding heart and palpitations was a tell tale sign when I first had it and when it came back. I was drinking gallons of water and Gatorade zero so dehydration wasn’t an issue with me. I could literally feel my heart beat in my head and could see it beating through my shirt.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:17 pm

D1dad
Most of your bodys hydration happens in the colon.
It's the part of our body that sucks out the liquid from the slurry that's in our digestive tract and turns our BMs solid.
It supplies liquid to the whole of our body.
C.diff causes it to go into reverse and the colon adds more water to the BM instead of absorbing it, literally flushing out the toxins!
If the reverse action goes into overdrive it makes little differance how much you drink because the colon cant absorbed it.
Drinking gallons may even cause harm!
Yes, drink a little more if you have D but for true dehydration people need a Drs advice because increasing fluid intake does not have any effect.

leegx
New User

Postby leegx » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Hey everyone. It's my sixth day of vanco today, and after 3-4 days of feeling brilliant (other than stomach pain) - Today I'm back feeling terrible again.
My BM have improved, today I've been 5 times so far (7pm UK time now). Not watery, just very soft D. I'm getting the urgent need to go in the mornings.

I've felt brilliant last few days, back to walking / gym etc however today my racing pounding heart has been back all day and I've ended up being bed bound all day. Feeling very weak. Pain has eased off..
I called the doctor yesterday, I could only get through to the reception and apparently my blood results showed no defiencies. I plan on calling on Monday to discuss my results with the doctor.
I really hope things improve again, I really can't handle falling back down again.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:27 pm

Hi leegx -

When you say "no deficiencies" did you get your electrolyte levels checked? Doctors can run a blood test to check the "anion gap" level, which can tell you whether or not your electrolytes are balanced. After nasty bouts of D the anion gap may be high (more than 16 mEq/L is considered high on most tests). This is a sign of electrolyte imbalance and dehydration which can cause major weakness. I went to urgent care twice after GI flares when I felt extremely weak and my heart was pounding. Everything was normal/no deficiencies, but my anion gap level was 21 mEq/L. As others have suggested, definitely check your electrolyte levels/get an anion gap blood test if you can. Also, you might check in with your doctor about drinking some Pedialyte if your anion gap level is high (it's what my doctor recommended). Hope you feel better soon!!!

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:07 am

Wanted to check in on you as it’s been a week or more .. I lose track of days now without working .. but what did you find out? Are things improved ?

leegx
New User

Postby leegx » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:26 am

Things have greatly improved for me finally, I feel much better than I was. My BM aren't great but in myself I've felt 'normal' for a good 1 week or so now. Tomorrow I drop to 1 x vanco every 3 days so hopefully things just gradually settle with my BM.
My heart rate still seems a little higher than usual, but I've wore the holter monitor for 24 hours and awaiting the results. Thank you.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”