Probiotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
JTLA
New User

Probiotics

Postby JTLA » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:35 am

Hello. When my CDI was active, the GI suggested that I begin taking a probiotic. No brand was recommended so I turned to the probiotic included in my vitamin manufacturer's product line. Yesterday, I had an ID consult. The MD suggested that when I finish the probiotic I have on hand, I consider Visbiome which was originally introduced as VSL#3. [VSL#3 continues to be sold but with a different formulation.] I am trying to make a healthcare decision and find myself turned-off by the legal history behind both products. 1. Does anyone have experience with either product? Also, I have been asymptomatic for six weeks and very cautious about introducing non-BRAT foods back into my diet. I am very concerned about switching brands while things are going so well. 2. Does anyone have experience with "switching" or am I being overly cautious? Thanks so much.

roy
Administrator

Re: Probiotics

Postby roy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:30 am

If your recovering nicely dont change anything.
It it ain't broke dont fix it!

JTLA
New User

Postby JTLA » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:06 am

Thanks, Roy...that was my instinct too. I appreciate the affirmation. Enjoy your weekend. - Joanne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:08 pm

I take vsl#3. It is okay for people who are lactose intolerant as far as I understand. Visbiome is the original formula that is not. I tolerated the VSL better after they changed. I only take a small part of a capsule on top of applesauce since I no longer can eat yogurt. IF you are doing okay without it, just continue what you are doing. Introduce new foods slowly, one at a time.

JTLA
New User

Postby JTLA » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks, Beth. I appreciate the feedback...especially the advice about taking things slowly. - Joanne

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”