Questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hoverup
New User

Questions

Postby hoverup » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:13 pm

I’m a survivor times 3 of c diff and I recently was given medication that I’m curious if because it’s used to also treat c diff if it can cause it too? It’s only a one time medication and I’ve been c diff free now for going on four years. This is my first bacterial infection I’ve had. Maybe I’m overly worried but last time I was told by my dr if I was put back on any antibiotics I would get cdiff again and I wouldn’t make it next time. So I’m wondering if anyone else has had issues with medication? I’m also the only documented case of red man syndrome from oral vancomycin. Any thoughts would be great! Not looking for medical advice just trying to see if others have gotten it from the meds used to treat it.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Questions

Postby georgina » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:22 am

Any antibiotic can cause CDiff that includes also Metronidazole and Vanco , because they don't kill just CDiff , they also kill some species of you good flora.Metronidazole kills a lot , Vanco kills less , about 20% .As long as the gut flora is unbalanced , the probability of getting CDiff remains high. I think the safest antibiotic is the Dificid , since it's made to target only clostridia but doesn't touch other bugs.

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:24 am

Has anyone has issues with taking terconazole? I recently have started this for a yeast infection and I woke up with abdominal pain and d to go with it. I’m only on it for three days but it’s alarming waking up at three am in such pain. I have had cdiff three times back to back relapses in the past however I have been cdiff free now for going on 5 years this year. Any suggestions would really help me.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:16 pm

I have had no issues with terconozole or even Diflucan (pill for yeast). I did come down with CDIFF after 5 years twice. Once in March afte using Keflex for 10 days and then 4 months later when in the hospital and given IV antibiotics. Each time there was no option but my recovery we better after finding a ID who gave me a tapered Dificid both times.

I had taken a short course of Kelfex 3 years ago with NO issues. It is so individual, I know we all worry about any medication and some have recently said Diflucan caused them to have CDIFF but I have had no issue other then I do feel terrible when I take it and sometimes get GI symptoms that clear up in a few days.

In 2014/15 I had 5 relapses and it took a year to get rid of it. My experience this year was different, getting on the right medication first worked for me.

Hope the terconozole works well and you feel better soon

NanciT

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Took the terazole it didn’t work well with my lower gut but no relapse. Next is surgery after COVID vaccine. Will keep y’all posted :)

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:52 pm

Has anyone else had major diarrhea after the COVID vaccine? I don’t know what happened but I’ve been having 3-10 d a day for three days. Went to the dr she says that it is either a stomach bug or from the vaccine.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:53 pm

I got a little loose stool after the Pfizer dose 1 and so did my husband, but just the day after the shot. I have heard that the Moderna vaccine can cause D. You didn't say which shot you got. But, usually it doesn't last that long, so maybe you got a stomach bug like the doctor said.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”