Flora and probiotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Solost
New User

Flora and probiotics

Postby Solost » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:59 pm

I am new to this whole c-diff world, I have been doing everything I can to get better, currently I am take a probiotic two pills twice a day. It’s like a 11.5 billion bacteria. I was a lot of money I am running out of those and I don’t know if they did much. I was wondering if I got a flora probiotic if that would help. I’m on a 10 day difficid after a 14 day Vanco fail.

If not that what are some good probiotics to take I have two days left of my dificid and I don’t want this monster back EVER!

roy
Administrator

Re: Flora and probiotics

Postby roy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:58 pm

11.5 billion probiotic bacteria could be compared with a drip of alcohol in a bucket of water!
It does not turn the water into wine!
It sounds a lot (sales talk for $$$) but it's not.
My own thoughts are that it's better to get probiotics (good flora) from a natural source.
Real natural food, kefir, yogurt etc.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:36 am

If you have been taking probiotics while on Dificid, most of them probably were killed off by the Dificid unless you took a yeast based one like Florastor. Personally, I take VSL#3 because it agrees with me. I use very little though, but I continue to take a small amount because I do not tolerate yogurt. I had to try various before I found one that did not cause me worse symptoms like bloating, gas, looser stools, etc. I would look for a multi-strain one and just take the recommended amount.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:17 am

That needs looking into Beth.
Dificid spares the good flora so should spare probotics.
Not seen any studies on that though.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:17 pm

I have not seen any studies in regards to Dificid and probiotics. It would be interesting to know. I know for myself, when I was on vanco, I tolerated probiotics just fine, most likely because most of it got killed off. When I went off vanco, they did not agree with me at all and had to take mini doses. I never took Dificid, so I would not really know.

If you are taking probiotics with the Dificid, at least space them between doses.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:21 am

Look into Megaprobiotic , it worked very well for me . It's a spore based probiotic that won't be killed by any antibiotic, but it's quite pricy.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”