Antibiotic-free meat?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Antibiotic-free meat?

Postby BetsyS » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:44 am

My mother is throwing a party to celebrate my 60th birthday. We've been going round and round about the menu because my diet is so limited right now. We finally agreed upon meat and cheese trays, and she came home with a selection of antibiotic-free meats. Her reasoning was antibiotics set off my C Diff, which started me thinking.

Can there be residual antibiotics in meat, and if so, can they affect the good flora in our gut? Antibiotic-free/natural are so much more expensive, is it worth the extra cost? Food is such a struggle for me at this point and I have not been eating much meat, but moving forward I really don't want to introduce food that will make me lose ground.

roy
Administrator

Re: Antibiotic-free meat?

Postby roy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22 am

The answer is "possibly"
I do know it's a fact that when we die our body takes longer to decompose than our ancestors did because of all the added preservatives in the food modern man eats.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:02 pm

I believe it is worth the cost and I now pay for it. Before not so much, but I have been doing a lot of reading and not only are the antibiotics and hormones left not good for us, but their diets of corn and soy is also not good for us and cause inflammation in our stomachs, especially those of us with soy allergies.

I can't find it right now but will...there was an article that said most regular meat at the store, like 40% of it tested positive to have Cdiff on it.

Here it is, it is the first bullet.

https://peggyfoundation.org/5-alarming- ... rket-meat/

This isn't the exact article I was reading before, but the organic grassfed non hormone etc meat is more expensive, but had less positives for a lot of germs you would find on most meat.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:11 pm

Thank you both. I had an appt with my ID and her response was along the same lines as Roy. She said there's a definite connection between the overuse of antibiotics in animals and treatment resistant bugs. She goes for organically raised.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:52 pm

I agree. I buy antibiotic free meat, chicken, and fish whenever I can “just in case.” Most stores now carry them.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:59 pm

I forgot to mention she suggested I add lentils and turmeric to my diet. She said turmeric is an anti- inflammatory and should help both the colon and the arthritis flare up C Diff has caused.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”