Alcohol and cdiff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Solost
New User

Alcohol and cdiff

Postby Solost » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:36 pm

Hello I have recently been told I have cdiff, I think I have had it since November, I could handle alcohol before I found out but it was only some times and I would get really bad cramps so I would take tums and it would go away, I started having bloody D and went in I was positive for cdiff they sent me home with Vanco for 14 days I finished it than had WD I went back into the er and they gave me a taper of Vanco, I did not get much information and it has been so confusing. My question is about alcohol.

I’m 21 and like to go out with my friends (especially them all turning 21) we tend to go out for their birthday and to have fun at the College bars. I have stepped back and not drank since I found out but it sucks missing out some times. We all are planning a trip to Vegas here in a few months and I’m so scared I won’t be able to enjoy the “first Vegas” experience. Does anyone have any advice? I have always had a pretty good gut even through this I still eat just about anything I did before with not much of an issue I just am scared that maybe I won’t get to experience the fun.

I turned 21 in October.

Please be nice as well.

Caligirl
Contributor

Re: Alcohol and cdiff

Postby Caligirl » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:23 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this! I was first diagnosed at 27 and honestly it totally sucked. I have been able to tolerate alcohol again, but a lot of people can't after C Diff. My only advice would be to wait to drink for a little while after your treatment is finished, and then slowly add things back in (SLOOOOOWLY) to see if you can tolerate it before your trip. Some people can't handle alcohol, dairy, or even raw fruits and veggies after C Diff unfortunately. So just take it easy and see what your body is able to handle a little bit a time, and don't try to force it to handle something that it can't right now.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:08 am

I drank A six pack the night I finished metro and I would have drank while I was on it but it apparently makes you deathly ill. I never found out. If it’s just one night then see what happens. Beer won’t cause a relapse although you might think you are. Your 21 and this will pass very quickly.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 am

I would not take the advice to just go ahead and do it without knowing how you will tolerate it. Everyone is different. Some people are fine quickly, some take a long time to get back to normal. Alcohol is very irritating to the gut and you have to go through a taper. The good news is that you still have a few months.
I love my wine but it took me a year to be able to tolerate it. If I were you I would wait until a few weeks before leaving and if you are still in recovery and not having problems with any other foods, test it out with a little alcohol at home. The worst thing would be to drink in a Vegas and get really sick while away.

Just my opinion...
Good luck,
Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”