Antigen positive, toxin negative?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Elvish2
Contributor

Antigen positive, toxin negative?

Postby Elvish2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:21 pm

So overall update to my last post... my test results showed:

"Clostridium difficile antigen positive.
Clostridium difficile toxin A and B negative.
This could be due to infection with a nontoxigenic strain, patient being asymptomatic carrier, or the level of toxin in the sample being below the level of detection.
This current test information should be used along with the patient's clinical history when deciding on additional testing and/or possible therapy."

Based on the above results and the symptoms I was having, the doctor sent in a prescription (for Flagyl, but I sent a message to change it to Dificid).

However, my symptoms have improved since I sent the test in (though no guarantee on how things will continue, I suppose). The nurse who called said she'd check in with the doctor, but does anyone else here have experience with getting this test result, what it means, and if treatment for c-diff is usually prescribed/the best choice in this situation?

Quick symptom recap after stopping Augmentin on 1/15 (sorry if TMI) -
1/25 - 4 episodes of just m
1/26 - several episodes of just m, one of slight D (very tired)
1/27 - 3-4 episodes of D/WD (sent in sample)
1/28 - no BMs, just gassy
1/29 - just 1 normal-looking BM at end of day
1/30 - 1 (softer) BM in morning
(noticing a particular "smell" on and off, just don't recall if it's the c-diff specific one)
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

roy
Administrator

Re: Antigen positive, toxin negative?

Postby roy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:51 pm

That's a negative test result, no treatment needed!
If D returns that might change.
Treating that test result can actualy cause c.diff to go full blown.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:06 am

You do have a negative test result , and it also seems like the symptoms are subsiding, perhaps it was the antibiotic associated D . Now is the "wait , watch and worry " game . If i were you , i would not start treatment ,i would however fill in the prescription just to have it at hand if things go south.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:18 am

Thanks, roy and georgina. That's about what I was thinking - that I'd fill the prescription when it's in tomorrow to have it on hand, then let the doctor know I'd like to try waiting to see how it goes.

Also, I had multiple doctor's assistants telling me that the Dificid would cost me thousands, but when the pharmacist called to confirm the Dificid order with me, she said it would cost me $50 with my insurance! Phew.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:08 pm

Another question - if my symptoms reoccur/continue (I had another episode of just m today), would asking for another test to see if the results changed be appropriate before starting medication treatment? Still waiting to hear back from the doctor about what they think, although I'm pretty sure they'll lean towards recommending starting treatment in any case. I'm trying to figure out how long to "watch and wait" if symptoms stick around. Ideally I'd get a referral to an infectious disease doctor and discuss with them, I suppose.

If it's of any matter, the sample I sent for testing was WD, no M. I feel like I've read here that others' results varied depending on if M was tested or not...

ETA: I noticed another result on my chart today:
C diff B Gene Not Detected [R1]
C diff B Source Stool []

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:40 pm

C diff B Gene Not Detected [R1]

That's a negative PCR test result.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:51 pm

Thanks, roy - I appreciate your responses and patience! Back in 2011, I didn't have easy access to my medical and test records like I do now (and I perhaps didn't question as much as I should have), so seeing the types of tests done is new to me.

The doctor got back to me and agreed with the "watch and wait" plan as long as my symptoms are improving, noting that the prescription is filled and available if needed. Crossing my fingers!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:46 am

I had a test result like that for over two years and never treated, but I did fill Dificid and paid $50 too because I was going on vacation. I did not need to use it. Dificid has a long shelf life. I think mine was close to 2 years. I would fill it as has been suggested and have it in case things get worse.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:47 pm

Well, last night/today I've been having M more and more frequently (no D, just passing straight M) - pretty reminiscent of when I had c-diff last time. Thinking ideally I'd try to wait til Monday to talk with doctor in person and get another stool test done before starting medication, but I may need to just go ahead and treat - if I got another test done, I wouldn't get the results til Thursday, based off last time, which seems an eternity from now. Ugh.

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:16 pm

My first occurrence and my first relapse had a technically negative test result, only detected the pathogen and did not detect the toxins. But it was clear as day that I had it. I was having WD every 90 seconds or so and had to go to the ER for intense pain, the D, and being so dehydrated that it put me in labor. There was NO question about it. My second relapse the test detected both a and b toxins, but my symptoms went away after a day or so and I decided not to treat it (against the dr.'s orders) and it never came back! So tests can be helpful, but I would go by symptoms and Dr. recommendations, not just a test. My tests were actually the opposite of when I needed to treat.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:44 am

Caligirl, thanks for sharing your experience. Symptoms and tests all play roles, and I do wish things were more clear-cut! I ended up going to Urgent Care tonight and talking with the doctor there. He ordered another stool test for me, but recommended I start the Dificid after giving the sample, based on my symptoms (I'm passing M (or something similar) every 1-2 hours at this point).

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:53 pm

Thought I'd post a quick update: I started Dificid on 2/2. I'm noticing very few medication side effects so far (especially compared to Flagyl), and the frequent bathroom trips are subsiding. This morning, I got a call that my most recent stool test was both antigen/toxin positive for c-diff. I put in a message to my doctor to ask about doing a taper after the standard prescription, and am waiting for either an Infectious Disease or GI doctor appointment referral.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:00 am

If you were passing M that often, it does sound like a relapse. I hope the Dificid helps you. Good you are checking about a taper.

cksa22
Brand New Poster

Postby cksa22 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 am

What does M and B mean?

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:01 pm

Cksa22- Mucus abd Blood.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”