9 Years Out - Possible Re-occurrence after taking antibiotics? (Plus PTSD)

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Elvish2
Contributor

9 Years Out - Possible Re-occurrence after taking antibiotics? (Plus PTSD)

Postby Elvish2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:34 am

Hello everyone,

It's been so long since I've checked in that I had to make a new account (see my case history under my original username, Elvish). When I first posted here, I had contracted c-diff in early 2011 after taking Amoxicillin followed immediately by Cipro. The c-diff finally cleared up after tapering Flagyl, which had its own nasty side effects for me.

Since then, I've been doing fairly well, trying to take any IBS flareups in stride. That is, until I was prescribed Augmentin (875mg x2/day) for a potential sinus infection on 1/13/20. After two and a half days (five doses total) of taking the Augmentin, I was having all the side effects listed on the prescription - nausea, lots of stomach gurgling, no appetite, and a couple episodes of D a day. My mind immediately went to c-diff, and I had a huge and unexpected PTSD episode combined with *lots* of anxiety. Not good.
So, I was instructed to stop taking the Augmentin, which I did, and the side effect symptoms faded over the course of a week. My appetite finally returned, and I even had a couple days with no BM at all. I had been taking Florastor daily since starting the antibiotic. I was in the clear (or so I thought)!

But then, starting yesterday afternoon, I had three episodes of just m. Today, four episodes of m (every 2-3 hours) so far, with the last one being D + m. Been having gurgling/gassiness, too. Now I'm back to thinking I must have c-diff again - having multiple episodes like this was what prompted me to go to the doctor to get tested the first time back in 2011.

I'm now struggling with several things aside from the anxiety that we've all experienced to some degree.
First, I'm kicking myself for taking the Augmentin in the first place, especially without doing more research. I feel I put too much trust in my PCP, who prescribed the antibiotic even though I told her my past history. I should have told her I wanted to wait and see how I did without antibiotics for at least a few days. I was just so "sick of being sick."
Second, I'm trying to brush up on appropriate courses of action. From what I've read as I'm trying to refresh myself on everything, sometimes mild c-diff can clear up on its own - and maybe this is the process of my gut trying to heal and re-adjust? But the instances of m+d after not having any the few days before worries me, so I'm inclined to check in with the doctor and ask for a stool test on Monday, and go from there. Also, apparently Flagyl isn't used as a first-line method of combating c-diff any more? I feel I have lots to make sure I'm caught up on as I know from previous experience that doctors aren't always up to speed on best types of treatment.

I'm trying my best to be positive and not get trapped in the negative anxiety spiral. I've walked this road before. I can get through this. But I'm just really frustrated with myself for "causing" this by taking the Augmentin. I thought it had been so long since last time that I was at low risk for a reoccurrence. I thought stopping after five doses, along with taking probiotics, was soon enough to mitigate any damage.

Any thoughts/tips/advice/comforting words welcome as I enter the fray again...
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: 9 Years Out - Possible Re-occurrence after taking antibiotics? (Plus PTSD

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:12 am

Elvish2,

I remember you as I've been on this site forever.

Do contact a doctor and ask to be tested. As you know, flagyl is no longer a drug of choice in treating c diff. Dificid is but is usually expensive so many docs prescrive Vanco.

We can't help you with a diagnosis but will support you emotionally. Do stop beating up on yourself. You did not ask the doctor to treat you with an antibiotic. It was her professional choice.

I've had 3 episodes of c diff - 1993-1997', 1999, and again in 2012. I've had side effects, PTSD, fear of doctors, and lots of self flagellation and doubt but am 79 and still going. If others make it, you can, too.

Let us know what you find out. We are here for you. Our best wishes.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: 9 Years Out - Possible Re-occurrence after taking antibiotics? (Plus PTSD)

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:22 am

Although all antibiotics can cause Cdiff , some antibitoics are safer then others , unfortunately Augmentin is one of the high offenders .You need to get tested . If you have Cdiff again it needs to be treated according to the new guidelines with Vanco or Dificid. Flagyl is no longer recommended as a /Cdiff treatment.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:34 pm

Thanks Bobbie and georgina. I have a call in to the doctor's office to get a stool test order approved, so hopefully I can get that done and results today or tomorrow at the latest. Feeling crampy/gassy today.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm

Picked up a stool test kit; hopefully I can get that done and submitted today. I also had left a message for the doctor requesting Dificid if the test was positive, as I figured that wouldn't be the default prescription. The nurse just called me to check if I knew how expensive Dificid was. I told her I understood, but felt it had the best success rate.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Well, I turned in the kit this afternoon - I believe it's a full GI pathogen panel (with stool culture and O&P test). They said full results could take 3-4 days. I wasn't sure if there was a quicker, more specific one that I should have asked for that the lab would even be able to do...? I guess now just to wait/rest/hydrate until results are in.
And sorry for the play-by-play! Just trying to do the best I can. I appreciate the solidarity.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:16 pm

Was a c diff test also done or just the culture,for pathogens? If you were on Augmentin, it is doubtful you have another bacteria, but you never know. Best to rule out everything. Dificid is covered by many insurances now, so don't let them talk you into Flagyl because it is cheap.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Hi beth22, I'm not exactly sure what specific tests were ordered - I think it's a "full panel" type with c-diff testing being in the mix (the doctor specifically said it "could take several days for the c-diff results to come back" when I asked about the timing). There were three vials plus a plain collection cup to put samples in. I'm sure I'll be able to see the tests and results list uploaded to my health documents online once they're done. Like you said, it's probably good to rule out everything.

And thanks for the note about Dificid being covered by more insurances lately. Hopefully it will be for mine if I need it!

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:46 am

My Dr. prescribed Flagyl because she was told how expensive Vanco is. The Flagyl was horrible and I will never take it again. I relapsed and was prescribed Vanco, and it turned out that my insurance covered almost all of it and I had to pay about $50. When I thought I was relapsing again I called my pharmacy and asked how much I would have to pay for a 10 day course of Difficid, it turned out that with my insurance it would only be $100! So yes, definitely ask about difficid. I think the doctors don’t want to just assume that insurance will cover it and unfortunately we end up not getting the best treatment because it’s assumed that we can’t afford it.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:46 am

I'm sorry to hear what you're going though. I fear the day that I have an infection that would require me to take an antibiotic.

They offer a coupon for Dificid which bring the cost down significantly. Here's a coupon: https://www.activatethecard.com/7853/#

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:46 pm

Callgirl and others,
ASSUME - letters stand for "makes an Ass out of You and Me" Be proactive. Do research and ask questions.

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:42 am

Elvish2- How are you feeling? What was the news on your results?

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi lila30 - I have updates in more recent posts! Basically, the first test was antigen positive but toxin negative. I opted to try to wait and see how things went before treating, but when my symptoms got much worse, I did a second stool test in the beginning of February that came back toxin and antigen positive. Currently wrapping up a Dificid taper/pulse that seems to be going well.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:54 am

Elvish,

Hope you are doing well and the treatment worked. What was the dose, quantity per day and length of Dificid taper?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:24 pm

Hi Ali-Mar,
I'm doing fairly well so far a week and a half after finishing my taper/pulse(*crosses fingers*)! The Dificid regimen I did was one "normal" course of 20 pills (2 pills a day for 10 days), and then was prescribed another 20 pills and took them 1/day for 7 days, then 1 every other day for 26 days.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”