Is it a relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ClaireL
Brand New Poster

Is it a relapse?

Postby ClaireL » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:01 pm

I was diagnosed with cdiff on December 30th after antibiotics. I was put on 10 days of vancomycin. After a few days on it my BM decreased to 2/3 a day and then down to 1 fully formed BM a day. I’ve I finished the vancom everything seemed to return to normal. I have been taking florastar and probiotic yogurt. Now after 2 weeks my BM has gone soft and loose 2-3 times a day, and there seems to be a lot of M and gas. I don’t have stomach cramps like the first time around but my stomach is making a lot of noises and I feel bloated. Does this sound like a relapse?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is it a relapse?

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi ClaireL and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters.

It is possible that you may be starting a relapse, but not necessarily. If your symptoms get worse, contact your doctor. I usually had a relapse about 3 weeks or so after stopping vanco. The days leading up to it sound a little like what you describe, but many people also get IBS symptoms. I also found that certain foods that I could eat before c difficile, I was not able to tolerate after. Dairy, many vegetables. See if anything in your diet may be causing it.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:05 am

I agree with Beth. It is too soon to tell anything. The good thing is that you have no watery d.
I would try to cut out the yogurt for a while and see if that helps. As Beth said, sometimes foods you could tolerate before no longer agree with your system right after c diff.

ClaireL
Brand New Poster

Postby ClaireL » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:17 am

Thank-you.. (sorry I’m a 31 year old female) I’ve read a few posts here as well so I’ll wait and see if they get worse. I did have some stomach cramps last night so makes me worried again. My doctor originally told me to keep eating normal as possible as that can help with the creating good bacteria again. But maybe I’ll try to cut out some things and see if that helps.

ClaireL
Brand New Poster

Postby ClaireL » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:14 pm

Update: I started to get cramps again so went to my doctor. He suggested a stool test. I have been off Vanco for 3 weeks. He then called me at 9pm and said go to the hospital, the bacteria is back and you need an IV. I went to the ER and they told me I tested positive but negative for the toxin. So it’s not a new infection. The ER doctor prescribed me pain medication for the cramps but didn’t want to prescribe me any other medication for c diff or give me an iv. She said that it just my gut healing and that if I get WD then to come back. Does anyone know what I can go to help my guy heal and get rid of the c diff bacteria other than probiotics?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:43 pm

IV is not a treatment for c.diff.
You need a new Dr.
Your lucky the hospital Dr seems to know how c.diff works.
They are correct not to treat just because of the test result.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:49 am

I agree with Roy. Your doctor does not seem to be up on treatment for c difficile. Get another opinion. There is a medication called Questran that binds toxins and helps to firm up stool. Some people take it after being treated for c difficile. It is actually a cholesterol lowering medication - a powder that you mix with water. It needs a prescription though.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”