Testing after first infection

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
andy2007
Regular User

Testing after first infection

Postby andy2007 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi
I have posted a few times already about c.diff related stuff. My history is in other posts.
I am almost two weeks post vanco. First time infection. After finishing the vanco I changed hospitals to a doctor with more experience with c.diff. I am living in Taiwan and it is not a very common illness here so I did some research and looked for the most experienced doctor in my area.
As I changed hospitals, my new doctor started with doing a cbc and stool sample just to get some data. This was three days after finishing a course of vanco. I wanted to mention what I had read here about how testing so soon was not a good idea, but the doctor just wanted to get a background and some lab data on me so I didn't bring it up.
I got the results a few days ago and they were GDH negative, toxin negative and PCR negative.
I am not sure how to interpret these results as I have read about the false negatives and positives. The doctor's opinion was that this was very positive, especially with no recurring symptoms at the moment.
Anyone have any idea on how best to interpret these results? Do these test results mean the chance of recurrence is less?
For the time being I'm going to continue with the gut friendly diet as I had IBS before all this. Any information would be most appreciated.

Andrew

roy
Administrator

Re: Testing after first infection

Postby roy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:55 pm

That's all good but go by your symptoms not the test.
You will know it if it comes back!
Testing too soon is ill advised.
The meds clear the active infection and nature clears the toxin ( the test looks for toxin ).
The problem remains that spores are not detected by the test and can vegetate after the sample is submitted and restart the c.diff cycle.
It's all about symptoms now and your best friend is the 3 day rule!
4 out of 5 do not relapse.

andy2007
Regular User

Re: Testing after first infection

Postby andy2007 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:24 pm

Thanks Roy

Yes. I was aware of the problems regarding retesting so soon, but as I said, I changed hospitals and I guess they needed to start a record on me. How common are false negatives where spores aren't detected during the test? I had read about false positives, but not really cases where GDH was negative, toxin was negative and PCR was negative. I took it to be a good sign with all three negative after vanco, but I am aware it is all about the symptoms, so I will continue to be vigilant.

Andrew

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”