Vanco- liquid vs capsule

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Vanco- liquid vs capsule

Postby BetsyS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:50 am

When I was in the hospital i was given Vanco in liquid format, but received capsules for home. They mentioned at discharge they would have preferred to send me home with liquid, but my insurance would not approve. My subsequent prescriptions were also capsules; I had to go to 3 pharmacies to find one that could fill it.

Is there a difference in effectiveness between liquid and capsule? What have others experienced? I will say I preferred capsule; liquid was vile tasting and did not pair well with nausea.

roy
Administrator

Re: Vanco- liquid vs capsule

Postby roy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:13 am

Same medication but liquid is MUCH cheaper for a hospital to use.
Liquid is made in a compounding pharmacy from the powder that is used in the IV form.
2 weeks supply is around $100 compared with up to $2000 for pills.
Theres also a commercial liquid form called Firvanq but because it's got a posh name they charge more for it.
Strange but insurance does not cover the cheap version!

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Thanks Roy! I just finished up a taper on my third round of Vanco. I am finally doing somewhat better, but I can't say that I am thriving. I am so scared of another relapse, and I was wondering if the relapses were because of capsules instead of the liquid form.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:28 am

In all my bouts of Cdiff i have only taken the liquid form of Vanco , we do not have the pill form in my country , and it was effective every time .

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”