Worst I’ve felt after starting meds 3 weeks ago

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Worst I’ve felt after starting meds 3 weeks ago

Postby hledgess » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:18 pm

So I started this vanco journey 3 weeks ago.. I felt better .. D stopped.. appetite came back.. but I lost my appetite Thursday.. had 4 bm yesterday and 2 D when I got up.. why am I feeling so bad.. I have to go to work so I had to eat a couple bites of oatmeal .. but it made me feel worse .. I have to go to work or I’ll be homeless soon.. my kids and I were forced out by my husband and he’s now trying to take my son away.. I can’t believe all that’s been happening

roy
Administrator

Re: Worst I’ve felt after starting meds 3 weeks ago

Postby roy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:38 pm

Please stay on one thread.
Follow posting rules of one post a day about yourself, it can be as long as you want and then wait untill next day for all the replies.
We cant advise about off topic subjects.

Post as many times as you want in support of others.
I will lock all your other threads now to keep things tidy.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:47 pm

Sorry I didn’t realize it was the same day.. they kinda run into each other lately .. I was just stating what life has felt me and Ik stress isn’t good right now either .. do u have any insight?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:55 pm

It sounds as if you are very stressed with family issues and stress in itself can bring on GI symptoms. Last year my mother died and I had GI symptoms for about 2 months. When I went back to work and got my mind on other things, I finally started to feel better and symptoms subsided. I think I also wrote on your other post, that the longer I stayed on vanco, the worse I felt. It did a lot of damage to my GI tract and the microbiome by killing off a lot of good bacteria. Between the c diff and the vanco, it took a long time to feel better.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:49 pm

May I ask how long you were on vanco? I wonder if I should push for dificid because of the effects of vanco on my body?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:11 pm

In earlier posts you say you have had D for all your adult life, you say you were taking questran for years to control it.
You have been on anxiety meds for many years as well.
Perhaps you should ask your Dr to reasess your current diagnosis.
I dont think any Dr would suspect c.diff unless you suggest/insist/self diagnose that it's the cause of your problems.
C.diff is diagnosed first by symptoms and only then confirmed by the test.
A positive test does not confirm you have c.diff colitis or that c.diff needs treating, only symptoms say that.
You dont need to change meds because you dont have symptoms that are any diferent to what you already say are your normal bowel habits, but you do need to see a knowlagable Dr who is not going to hand out meds just because you think you need them.
No more posts today please.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:41 am

I only had D after my gallbladder but then got better . I had D after abx in 2011 that kind of came and went and they think it was c diff but not a stronger enough infection so it was never detected .. things are very different when I have an infection from normal day life.. I am in pain, I can’t eat, D, cramps, gas and feeling awful.. sorry you don’t believe my symptoms and test result.. I wish I didn’t have to feel this way.. I was bedridden for a week until they ran every test they could think of when finally my dr ( on his own ) suggested c diff.. i asked if it was possible after this long and he said yea it could be.. so he wasn’t shocked when it was.. and I felt better after a little over a week of finally being on this evil medicine.. that has never happened with just some ibs or what they thought was bile malabsorption.. but my new gi thinks it was laying there dormant and the questran was keeping the toxins to be low enough until something made c diff over populate .. drs words not mine.. he did ask about my symptoms before treating though and I respect that

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:43 am

I remember being on it for a few months - about 3. I had one round and relapsed, then took a longer round, relapsed again. I had FMT that did not work and was on it again. I can't remember, but each time, things got worse with it. When I finally had a successful FMT, I was off of it until I took antibiotics for another infection and then had to take it again. Dificid was not out then or I would have opted for that. I think if I had not taken it to begin with, I would have been better off. The year before my body was able to get rid of it on its own. My doctor scared me into treating and I wish I hadn't.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am

Beth thank you.. I’ve been hearing a lot of ppl say their FMT failed..I fear that’s my next step although I haven’t tried dificid.. my Pcp dr asked if my GI has mentioned that .. he didn’t but I think bc I was on flaygl the other two times he wanted to try this.. I’m going to call the office tomorrow to see if I can get a sooner appointment bc it’s two weeks away and I’d rather see him sooner since I have kind of gone backwards.. I would give dificid a try.. I’m just scared and miserable.. they’re the worst symptoms.. I knew it was back before she said the words.. my body knows and I remembered once I felt them.. takes your quality of life away.. again thank you Beth for replying. Hopefully I can eat today but right now I’m too exhausted to be awake.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:46 am

Most FMT's do work the first time if they are done the right way , by colonoscopy , complete antibiotic course prior to the FMt , the bowel cleanse. It's true that my first FMt did not work but that is because it was not done correctly (it was by nasogastric tube , no vanco before the procedure , it was just good flora on top of pathogen flora ) and of course , it failed . But the colonoscopy FMT was done properly and cleared the infection , GDH negative. However i had remaining GI issues because i was dealing with bowel endometriosis and that was keeping my gut inflamed, that i discovered later. After endometriosis was excised , gut healed ,no more D , normal stools every day and just some minor IBS on and off depends on what i am eating.
FMT worked for me.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:23 am

If you can't get an earlier appointment with your GI, is there an ID (infectious disease) doctor that you could see. I saw one and he was much more helpful to me than the GI. He checked my immune system out too.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:17 am

I called infectious disease today .. they said they did a consult with my Pcp as to how to treat.. called my gi and I have an app this wed instead of in two weeks ..called my Pcp and told them how I haven’t ate in 4 days .. D three days straight.. feel like I could puke .. stomach hurts and I’m super bloated .. I’ve never felt this bad even the other times I’ve had c diff.. the dr had filled out the Merck forms but he needed to re send the script for some reason .. I asked her please can he just fax it bc I’d have the dificid tomorrow.. she said she was getting on it.. so let’s pray I can get better bc I’m so tired and sick I need to be better now

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:07 pm

Glad you got an appointment.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:05 pm

I saw a different GI.. he said the amount of vanco I was on was an insane amount and it could be causing issues and probably wasn’t even necessary to be that high of a dose for that long .. so now I’ll be taking 2 250mg twice a day for a week then one a day for a week then every other day for a week.. i follow up in 2 weeks.. then adage I’m off for 2 weeks if I’m having issues still he’ll test but otherwise god to go.. so we’ll see .. wait watch n worry lol.. but then I have dificid if things aren’t better at least . It came yesterday.. they want to not stop once u start .. so that’s why he’s weaning me off.. just faster ..

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:37 am

I was put on high doses of vanco to start for an infection that wasn't even that severe and to this day I still think that caused more problems than the c diff. I did well on 250 twice a day. Felt better than on the higher doses. Good luck. Hope you feel better!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”