SIBO question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ChrisD
Regular User

SIBO question

Postby ChrisD » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi-

Happy New Year!!

I have posted my history before but wanted to start a tread on SIBO. My doctors are convinced I have it and I am going for the breath test tomorrow morning. For those that have had it, have you taken the antibiotics for SIBO and Dificid or Vanco at the same time? I have read that the SIBO antibiotic can actually cause C-Diff so I would not want to cure one thing and then cause C-DIFF again. Wondering what others did. My GI said that he normally treats with the Xifaxan and then see what happens.

Thanks

AngelaB
New User

Re: SIBO question

Postby AngelaB » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:43 am

HI Chris:

I am wondering this as well. Don't want to go down the road of having another relapse. I am seeing my G.I. today and will ask about this. What are your main symptoms and why do you suspect that you have it? Right now my main issue is abdominal pain in my sides. I also have some upper G.I. gas (a lot of burping) and a little acid reflux.

AngelaB

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:13 pm

Hi-

My symptoms at this point are really bad gas. I mean horrible, constant, loud gas that is never ending. I also have swings in my movements from normal to small pieces and mush. Once in awhile I have watery BM. For the past few weeks my BM”s were somewhat normal, unfortunately this week it has gone a bit the other way. Reason my doctors thinks it could be SIBO is that when I took Vanco, twice, my symptoms immediately got better, and then slowly got worse. In fact after Vanco my stomach was better than it has been in years. I took Dificid, did not really have lasting relief and things have been a bit all over the place. There thought is that Vanco is less targeted than Dificid and it’s possible that not only was it hitting the CDIFF but also the overgrowth. In fact Vanco has been used to treat SIBO in the past. I took the test today and also have been holding onto a stool test that I need to send in.

Hope this helps.

Chris

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:22 am

I had SIBO after c diff, but my doctor felt that the vanco was a big contributing factor because it wiped out a lot of good bacteria and helped to cause an imbalance in the microbiome. My breath test was very, very high. It was off the chart, so I did treat with Xifaxan and felt better. One of my symptoms was a lot of gas too and food intolerances. Xifaxan used to be given as a chaser to vanco in c diff treatment. I took it myself after vanco at one point.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:00 am

ChrisD,
I had the symptoms of SIBO but the hydrogen test was negative. After c diff, I developed IBS, GERD, IC, osteoporosis, and other problems. Everyone is different, however, and I had c diff three times - the first bout was four years. Treatments have improved.

Best wishes.

AngelaB
New User

Postby AngelaB » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:38 am

I also felt a lot better on the Vanco than I did on the Dificid. I am almost 5 weeks since the last Dificid pill and I am hoping I don't relapse anymore. My new G.I. does not want to entertain SIBO at this point because he does not want to put me on any antibiotics to treat it. He also does not think my abdominal pain is gastrointestinal since my BM's are normal now and I do not have any nausea or vomiting. I do have fibromyalgia and generally feel it more during the colder months so it could be that although I'm still not sure the pain is not the aftereffects of the Cdiff infection and my gut attempting to heal. I feel it's always a "wait and see" situation whether my c-diff comes back which is so frustrating.

AngelaB

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:13 am

Got the results of my SIBO test. Of course my results were not typical. My baseline reading, I.e before I did the drink was high. Subsequent readings after I drank the solution showed a DECREASE in levels. My GI said that because that it’s not something he usually would treat in my case because he doesn’t want me on any antibiotics unless he was sure it was positive. So once again I am in limbo. Have to see if things start getting better and if not test again.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:38 am

Did you take any antibiotics or probiotics recently or eat yogurt or kefir? That throws off results and the guidelines I had prior to testing said not to have those things, but I don't remember for how long.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:00 am

Could be because you are using questran.
No point in testing if your currently on any form of gut altering medication.
You would have been given instructions on preparing for the test regarding suppliments and meds.

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:09 am

I am not taking any supplements or probiotics/kefir at the moment or before the test. I asked my doctor before the test about the Questran and he said it was ok to take the night before. I did follow the diet before the test. Not sure at this point what the next step is other than just "deal" with it and hope this is just IBS flaring up.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:51 pm

I would not retest for the SIBO. Give it some time and see if it resolves. If not, you can always do another test later on.

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks for the response. I do not think he will test for SIBO again, however I have the stool test kit to send in for CDIFF. (My last test was late September/early October. I was PCR positive and toxin negative). I waited few weeks after the results but ended up in late October taking the Dificid. After about 3 weeks off of the Dificd, I felt really good up until last week when things kinda started going downhill.) I've been holding off on sending it in until things go really south. I seem to be stuck in the vicious cycle of taking the meds, after a few weeks things start feeling better and I feel great, then after a few weeks further things go down hill. I know this is common for folks that have CDIFF and the PIBS. Im probably going to stop the Questran for a few days and see what happens.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”