Treating acid reflux

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
AngelaB
New User

Treating acid reflux

Postby AngelaB » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:31 am

Hi All:

I am wondering what acid reducing meds are o.k. and will not cause a relapse as I heard/read there is a correlation.

AngelaB

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Treating acid reflux

Postby AllisS » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:10 pm

Meds for reflux, notably the PPIs, would not cause a relapse of C. diff. Some studies have suggested that these meds may be a predisposing factor for C. diff; this may or may not be borne out over time. Irregardless, a short course of PPIs isn't going to predispose. The thing to watch out for with the PPIs is they are quite hard to stop taking because doing so tends to cause what's called a rebound effect -- that is, the reflux feels more severe. So the tapering off must be very gradual.

Depending on how severe your acid reflux is, you may want to try a med such as Pepcid, which, so far, hasn't been linked to predisposing toward C. diff. -- though again, it's more the duration of taking the meds that would be cause for concern. Zantac was recently recalled because a carcinogen was identified among its ingredients; its mechanism is similar to that of Pepcid.

There are some very low-tech measures for reflux that are worth a try before embarking on a med. I've found chewing gum to be helpful. Evidently the production of saliva triggered by the chewing coats the stomach, which decreases the irritation.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

AngelaB
New User

Re: Treating acid reflux

Postby AngelaB » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:13 am

Thanks so much AllisS! I've heard about the gum chewing. Not much of a gum chewer but I will try. I prefer the anti-med route anyway.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”