Relapse After First Round Of Meds

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Zay
Regular User

Relapse After First Round Of Meds

Postby Zay » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:45 pm

I am not surprised that I had a relapse, everyone warned me and I was mentally prepared for it.

My symptoms have been back for a couple days and I went back to the ER and they gave me a combo of Flagyl and Vancomycin and the doctor said I need to take as many probiotics as I can and eat bananas 3 times a day but he was impressed with my hydration.

I already take Florastor twice a day and a bacteria probiotics (3 hours after meds once a day) and kefir (again 3 hours after meds) and a benefiber prebiotic. He suggested taking more in through foods like Goodberry, yogurt, etc, but I read that many here said they had problems with too much probiotics so I am a little worried about adding more. Did y'alls doctors also say take that many?

Also, so weird, but my tongue has kinda gone fuzzy, I thought it was the meds the doctor said it was from the illness, have y'all dealt with a white fuzzy tongue too? It isn't a yeast infection, it is similar to something I had when I used a medicated mouthwash after my wisdom teeth surgery.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse After First Round Of Meds

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:47 pm

I had the white tongue too and it is from the antibiotics partly disrupting the flora and also from the illness itself disrupting the flora. Once I started to eat more normally, it went away. I used a mouth rinse that was anti-fungal and it did not help, so I guess mine was not yeast either.

Probiotics did not sit well with me, especially in high doses. In fact, for many, it gives more symptoms. I would stick to what is working for you. If you can tolerate yogurt and/or kefir, fine. Some do and some don't. If they upset your GI tract or give a lot of gas, then I would not eat them.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 am

Thank you for your advice. I seem to be okay with the probiotics, not a whole lot of problems. The Vanco this time of round is giving me the majority of the problems. These side effects are way worse than the first round of Flagyl for me, dizzy and light headed when I stand up, nausea, vomiting (zofran helps), head fog, loss of appetite.

I am curious, while the watery D stopped a couple days into the treatment, and I am thankful, the pain in my sides is still there, not nearly as bad and I still get that slight burning feeling. Does that eventually go away as well with the antibiotics?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:12 am

Zay,
Vanco can cause symptoms. I used "Sea Bands" for the nausea which actually helped me a great deal. They are on Amazon or any drug store. The abdominal pain is something I had for some time, I used a heating pad everyday when I returned from work. I found that helped. Some try a warm bath. It can take time, stick with light foods. I also had no appetite, I drank "Smart water" so I did not get dehydrated

It takes time, getting through the treatment and healing

Hang in there

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”