A week on vanco question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hledgess
Regular Contributor

A week on vanco question

Postby hledgess » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:53 am

So though this I have had on n off again snake like green stool but since the vanco they’ve been too hard or very normal to my relief .. anyone on a long vanco taper that experienced kinda going backward in their healing? Or is this just a normal process of it?
I’ve never been on vanco I’d you haven’t read my other posts

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: A week on vanco question

Postby NanciT » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:15 pm

Treatment (any of them) can cause Bm's to be " all over the place" during treatment and also during recovery. The gut takes time to heal, hope you feel better soon

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:24 am

I used to do better on vanco for about 5 days and then my stools would get looser. When I would cut down a dose, going from 4 x per day to 3 x per day, there was also a "backwards" period. Everyone is different. some people do really well on vanco, some get looser stools.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:20 pm

I read it can cause looser stools too.. and thank you guys bc I had it again today as well and causing me anxiety . I’m on this for 2 months bc it’s a taper.. one week and a day down.. I was doing good but I wasn’t eating much .. I didn’t eat much yesterday either but still more than I was for that first week.. Xmas and the next day I pigged out..

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:49 pm

The best dose for me with the taper was when I went to twice a day. I was on 250mg. I took it with my meals and it seemed to cause little GI distress. First, I had to get used to it after I cut down from 3 x per day and that took a few days.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:08 pm

Right now I’m on 250 4x a day for another 6 days then the taper starts at 250 3x a day then down to twice then down to 125 .. 2 months total is what it’ll be.. I had D today after a kinda normal one so it’s so distressing bc I have to work soon and am having cramps after eating a baked potato .. I take floraster twice a day usually and kefir too long as I can fit it between doses .. if we’re on meds are we contagious still? And if it is a more solid one even if it snake like or thin is that still contagious?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:53 pm

I have read that we shed spores for a long time and yes, those are contagious. But, you are probably exposed to those every time you use a public toilet. Just use good hand hygiene. Kefir can give loose stools too and Florastor gave me looser stools as well.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:30 am

Yea that’s true .. I try to not use them but everyone else does and then touches stuff so.. and yea I take both of those but hopefully it’s helping .. thank you so much for your replies

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”