Positive test 4 years later

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Positive test 4 years later

Postby hledgess » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:13 am

Hi so I had posted a couple times lately.. once was about eating at my SIL that just had c diff.. I now have it as well.. this is my third bout with it .. I have been sooo careful and ocd about hand washing for what?! I don’t take any medicine if it’s even remotely possible of getting c diff.. I haven’t taken an antibiotic.. idk what to even do now.. what probiotics do I take? Like I read probiotics weren’t recommended but they used to be.. can I take zofran? And gas x? Should I clean the toilet with bleach all around it? Inside too after I go? I’ve washed my hands after going all the time.. so is everything in my house ok? Should I throw away all my underwear? Wash clothes separate? Idk idr .. please help me!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Positive test 4 years later

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Are you having symptoms of D or did you just test positive? I tested positive after having the flu in 2016 and stayed positive for 2.5 years, but did not treat because I did not have D. My positive was on PCR, but the hospital lab runs an EIA test on all positive PCR tests because a positive test on PCR does not necessarily indicate an active infection. My EIA was negative.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:21 pm

I think my lab here does the same thing.. that’s what they told me in the last.. i has the same symptoms I had when I had it before .. cramps, gas, pain, nausea, tenderness, and weird stool.. like it was like a snake soft yesterday when I collected it.. I see a new GI tomorrow so I will see what he says bc I’m having issues getting my sr to give me difficid bc I refuse to damage my gut with vanco

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Actually I just called and they do not in fact do the EIA after to make sure it is an active infection.. I see my new GI dr tomorrow so I will ask about it then and maybe retest? But he might have to ask for that if my hospital lab doesn’t do that one

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:35 am

See what your doctor says, but I would want to make really sure that my infection was active before I treated. I have had positives in the past that responded to Pepto Bismol alone. I remember getting an intestinal virus one summer and tested positive for c diff. I was leaving on vacation and did not know what to do. My Gi told me to take Pepto with my meals, which I did for a week or so while on vacation. First, 3 x per day and then I think only twice, and only small amounts. When I got back I re-tested and was negative. PCR is very sensitive and it will show positive even if not an active infection. You don't want to overtreat, but if you have symptoms, then you and your GI will have to decide what is best.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 am

Yea I think it’s back bc I do not have an appetite and definitely would not want to I’d be able to eat n just take pepto, I have severe nausea, cramping if I feel like I have to go but don’t really have to, upper gas a lot of belching, I see theft tomorrow.. I appreciate your response .. I’m pretty freaked out

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 am

Please stick to one thread as it makes it hard to follow you if you have 4 running.
I have locked the others so stick to this one

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:29 am

Correct me if I’m wrong but, loss of appetite and gas aren’t exactly symptoms of cdiff? I know some have had wonky infections but when I had it I had a fever, body aches and set up permanent residents on the crapper to the tune of 20-30 times a day for over a week straight. I don’t think I’d ever take the antibiotics they used to treat it for anything less than the symptoms I had. As far as eating at with a family member who had it. I work in nursing homes and hospitals year round, just finished 2 straight weeks in a Philadelphia nursing home and wasn’t the least bit concerned. I’m even a nail biter. I’d air on the side of caution before committing to the damage that the treatments going to cause unless the doc is 100% sure it’s needed, but that’s just me. My stomach flora is still off 8 months later from those awful meds.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:24 pm

D1dad
Perfect description of c.diff that needs treating!
Health anxiety caused by testing is a big problem and is exactly why testing should not be done unless symptoms indicate c.diff colitis.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Ugh just had an intense bathroom visit and my stomach and back hurt so bad and I feel like I need to go back.. so I’m trusting the test.. wish I could eat .. I tried and that was the outcome. Couple bites of oatmeal .. I see gi dr soon at least to shed some light

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:02 pm

I have so many questions .. like should I shower after each bowel movement? I feel so gross but I’m exhausted... will I shed spores into my bed more easily if I am not clean .. I use flushable wipes but still. .. also do I need to throw away all my new Victoria secret undies? Or can I just wash them in hot water? I was careful throughout the years so I shouldn’t have to bleach everything I have touched bc I wash well and money is everywhere full of spores n we touch that.. do I clean the toilet seat if it’s just pee? But haven’t showered? My hubby shares our bathroom but the kids don’t .. should I buy a new shower curtain after I’m negative? How often should I wash my bedding ? Omg so many questions .. I feel terrible and the dr isn’t wanting to give me dificid.. finally got him to sign papers and it will be shipped by Monday .. meantime I’m getting more D and more often with more pain .. so idk if I should start the vanco but I’m afraid of it wiping out my good guys.. any answer to any of these would be amazing

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:20 pm

You have 225 posts on here and have asked it all before. You could check on previous answers.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:07 am

Did you get an EIA test done? I personally wouldn’t take meds until c diff active infection was verified. As with NanciT, I too was horribly ill for over 4 weeks this summer with what turned out to be an intestinal viral infection that because of my c diff history history hits me worse than most. I had to be tested for everything but my GI told me the lab automatically does an EIA if the PCR comes back positive because of my history.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:23 pm

My GI said they tested for toxins yesterday.. I started the vanco.. but what I still don’t understand is the main symptoms are gas and bloating to where I can’t eat and I’ve lost 11 lbs now.. then when I feel like that I have internal shaking.. it’s very odd

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:58 am

SIBO can cause the symptoms that you are describing and vanco is not used to treat that. See what the toxin test shows. Did you test after or before you started vanco?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”