Newborn on antibiotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
speg
New User

Newborn on antibiotics

Postby speg » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:24 am

Recap: 35 f mum caught cdiff in the NICU with my preemie son - delayed treatment as postpartum masked symptoms. 10 days Vanco, followed by 8 days of seeming peace, followed by almost a month of mucus/tissue. Dr. says "no D. no testing. no treatment -- wait for D".
Well D has not shown up, M has been oh so gradually declining until this week it stopped. Normal frequency & color and general appearance. Gut still cranky & intermittent constipation resulting in some new external hemhorroids here and there, but otherwise no fever/no more weight loss and overall ok.

My question:

My son now has a perianal (bum) strep A infection - not typical diaper rash to say the least - that would normally be treated with oral Penicillin or Clindamycin or possibly a longer course of amoxicillin. All 3 sound ridiculously scary to me at this point given how fresh out of treatment I am and potential for him to have picked up spores off me or the NICU. Anyone's kids )particularly newborns/preemies) ever had to take antibiotics right after mom/dad/siblings treatment for cdiff? Any outcomes/advice? Can 3 month olds get active cdiff infections (I know many are carriers from the start but could antibiotics trigger it to activate in him?) Doc again seems to think this is not a big deal ... it was a scary deal for me NOW I'm mortified for my tiny son.

I hate that he may have to take even more antibiotics the poor kid will never develop healthy gut flora (he's already been exposed to Clindamycin during labor, genatmycin/ampicillin NICU, and Vanco via breast milk at this point). We've done our best to bleach during the first outbreak, and continued weekly cleaning protocols of floors/surfaces/bedding/and after each bathroom use bleach wiping the flush and WASHING hands (so much hand washing). I've been using gloves to change him since I was diagnosed, husband started using gloves shortly after the rash appeard on his bum, not wanting to spread/infect it any further. Just don't think we could possibly keep things clean enough at this point. I feel like I'm diseased and I'll just pass it on to his poor (already over exposed to 4 different antibiotics via me or NICU) immune system.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Newborn on antibiotics

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:12 am

Speg,
I remember you and am so sorry for your predicament.

Congrats on the birth of your son. I would call a pediatric GI or ID in to help with the baby.

Pls continue to post and let us know how you are doing. I wish we could help you, but you need professional medical help.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:25 am

I would definitely not take clindamycin. If he has to take an antibiotic, ask for something else. It sounds as if you were given choices. Clindamycin is probably the worst offender for c difficile. It can even cause it when applied topically.

speg
New User

Postby speg » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Bobbie -- call is in with Neonatal/ Ped. 80 miles away, my FNP has been really great about reaching out to consults on our case (probably because they don't see a lot of cases like ours OR preemies at their clinic). She also got a consult on my unusual ongoing mucus issues. Baby's Infection is not life threatening, doesn't appear to be MRSA (strep instead), he appears to be in little/no pain and also has no fever and it hasn't spread so we are content waiting on consult for now. I don't want to rush in. Rushing into labor w/ little information on the medications he and I were given is what got us into this mess!!! The good news I guess is I listened to the GI/FNP advice not to continue treatment and I have had a whole week of complete normalcy, if I ignore the hemorrhoids! Here's to hoping it lasts.

Will keep the site updated :) I'm hopeful ... I feel bad for the kiddo, but such is our life it appears at the moment. At least he's putting on weight good and otherwise pretty happy.

Still curious if anyone else had experience with a preemie and cdiff at home.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:19 am

Agree with Beth re Clindamycin. Nasty stuff.

Glad you and baby are holding your owm and glad a neonatal ped was called in.

You sound grounded and informed with a supportive husband.

Pls do keep us informed. We care about you and your son. What is his name?

speg
New User

Postby speg » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:16 pm

So the quick test that revealed potential bacterial infection picked up on regular perianal bacteria (especially for a baby whose endured rounds of antiboitics and NICU stay) and the tissue culture our consult ordered revealed that this was not a threat. Bacteria isn't actually in the dermis (like it would be with cellulitis) it's just there from the colon -- ewww but ok. Fantastic right!!! Says No antibiotic needed so glad we waited and got another opinion.

Bad news referred to a Dermatologist/proctologist who believes we should be seeing an allergist because his symptomology fits very closely with milk protein allergy. Was suggested that I remove soy/dairy as they are the most common offenders, but there are others. So YET AGAIN I'm on diet restriction. I was on diet restriction for Gestational diabetes while pregnant. Cdiff imposed diet restrictions for over a month just so I wouldn't poo my guts out... now this. I feel like my body hates me. For now lil man is on steroid cream while I take out all traces of dairy.

Good news -- we're all alive:) no return of D and baby is still, despite potential allergy, putting on weight and growing )more than doubled his birth weight). I gotta give breast milk a hand somehow it still manages to keep him nourished even though he's reacting to the recent readdition of dairy in my diet.

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:45 pm

I’m so thankful to hear you and your son are infection free! I know the anxiety that comes with c diff and newborns. I hope you can get answers soon.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”