Experiences with Dificid..need help

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ChrisD
Regular User

Experiences with Dificid..need help

Postby ChrisD » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi-

I’ve posted my history in another forum. Decided after meeting with my doctors and having over 2 months of symptoms that I am going to start taking Dificid for the recurrent CDIFF. Have not had a non mushy or watery movement in over 2 months after 2 courses of Vanco. I HATE taking medication. In fact I get very anxious about taking medication. Heightened by the fact I got this mess from taking antibiotics. Was wondering if others who did the 10 day course can reply as to how they felt while taking the medication. I tolerated Vanco ok twice so I am hoping that the Dificid is the same. Really appreciate any responses.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Experiences with Dificid..need help

Postby NanciT » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:40 pm

Hi

I had no issues with the first 10 days of Dificid. I ended up on a taper and then found it was harsh on the stomach, but by that time I had been on treatment a long time. It DID cure me!!

NanciT

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Nancy how long was your taper? Just curious in case this doesn’t work what I need to tell my doctor.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:42 pm

There is a taper that is for 30 days. I had a much longer taper in 2015 before we had that information. My recovery was very long. The 30 day has been done by many on the site and has worked well! We also have poster who took the 10 days and did great, Dificid works!!

NanciT

CindyP
New User

Postby CindyP » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:45 pm

No issues with Dificid, which cured me.

Vancomycin gave me urinary frequency, recurring yeast infection, and worsening of my tinnitus.

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:37 pm

So I finished 3 days worth of Dificid already. Yesterday my BM”s were nearly normal. Today I had mixed normal and water. My stomach is still upset, mostly after meals. Does that seem about right? Also can I take Imodium on Dificid? Sorry to be high maintenance, I hate this so much.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Dificid affects everyone differently. Your experience sounds typical.

As for the Imodium - this is a Doctor question. Some say yes, and some no. Ask your physician.

Keep posting. You are not high maintenance.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:23 pm

I took Dificid 3.5 years ago for 10 days. I had D beginning around day 3 and that continued while on it but after that it ended and it ultimately worked for me. Good luck!

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:18 am

So starting Day 5 of the Dificid. I really thought I was turning the corner, yesterday was fine all day and had 1 solid formed movement. This morning woke up had another solid movement, but about an hour later, while I was on the train coming into work I had a massive pain in my stomach and had to use the bathroom on the train (gross). Had it not been for the bathroom on the train I would have went all over myself. I was pure water and mucus. (Sorry if this is TMI). About an hour after lunch I had 2 more WBM with urgency. My stomach is still very upset and I am eating very plain now. I stopped taking the Florostar yesterday because I was having a lot of gas pain. Wondering if stopping can make me worse? Also, I have a horrible sinus infection and cold at the moment that isn't helping matters. I think the nasal drip is bothering my stomach as well. I am going to keep taking the meds but this is all so frustrating. Just want to get better so I can get to my normal life. 5 months of this is too long. Vanco was also tough on my stomach, but not this bad, and I started feeling sick mid-way thru the course so I am praying that this is the same, but slowly loosing hope that this is helping. I just don't understand why I felt good for a few days then things go down hill.

...so I texted my GI, he said it’s ok to take Imodium but it’s odd to him that Inwas doing ok for a few days and then have such a bad day like this.

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:03 pm

Starting to think I should call this my "Dificid Diary". AS I was sick most odf the day yesterday, today has been a little better. My stomach is still hurting a lot and I feel intense pressure in my abdomen. I had ONE BM so far and it was not formed but not liquid and a lot of gas. I seem to not be tolerating the Dificid as well as I tolerated Vanco, even though the Vanco was rough on me. Have other had this as well mid way thru the Vanco? Would love to hear from others and how they handled this? I was really optimistic that this was going to work the first few days but now I seem to be moving backwards which is scary.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 am

Cris,
I know you said you haven’t had a normal movement in over 2 months but was it uncontrollable or urgent? It took months for me to be what I consider normal, but as long as I wasn’t running the 40 to use the bathroom I was fine with it. The vanco you took is considered the strongest antibiotic in medicine and would mess you up for many months, maybe even a year. To have the runs for a few months after would be considered somewhat normal.

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:04 pm

D1Dad,

After finishing my 2nd round of Vanco, my stomach was really good for several weeks. Then, slowly my stool became looser and the urgency intensified. Basically, I was going 3-4 times a day mush or water for almost 8 weeks. I had to travel with a bucket in my car in case I had an "attack". My GI Doc basically told me I am kind of in the middle of whether I should treat or not because of positive PCR and negative toxin and left it up to me. Since starting the Dificid on Friday, I had solid BM's on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning. On Tuesday, I had several WBM's right after my formed movement. Yesterday I went once very mushy and so far today I went once formed with no issues. (sorry for TMI). I would think that because my stool's have formed up more than before I took Dificid either I am treating the CDIFF or there was something else going on. What do you all think? My stomach is still really painful and the gas is awful but there is definitely a change from the past 2 months.

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:19 pm

Today is my last day on Dificid. It’s been an up and down 10 days. Today I was fine all morning, normal movements then a few hours later I had wbm and have felt bad the rest of the day. My hope is that once I stop Dificid things will get back to near normal but I am so anxious about all of this. I’m so tired of dealing with this all of these months. Any suggestions on what I should do now?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Perhaps you could message lunasdad or martini for advice.

ChrisD
Regular User

Postby ChrisD » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:05 am

Not sure I follow..but I will. Just anted to know how long after taking Dificid did folks start feeling better. My anxiety has reached a fever pitch and just want to get some advice.

Thanks

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”