Help for dealing with loss of appetite

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jkaczor
Brand New Poster

Help for dealing with loss of appetite

Postby Jkaczor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:32 pm

My name is Jennifer and I’m 51 years old. Was diagnosed just over two weeks ago. Most likely caused by taking ciproflaxin for a different intestinal infection I acquired from a sick foster kitten. Finished vancomycin on Wednesday. Have not been able to eat for weeks now. Every bite is torture. Looking for any helpful suggestions regarding which foods might be easier on my stomach. Have been ill for five weeks now. I sound rational and like I’m coping fairly well, but I’m really struggling. Anxiety is off the charts. I weep a lot. Sometimes I feel like I’m going insane. Trying really hard to stay positive but it’s a struggle. Finding this support group has been helpful, though I’m steering clear of topics that might alarm me.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Help for dealing with loss of appetite

Postby Bobbie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:08 pm

Welcome, Jennifer,

Pls read the first forum for info on the site and how to post.

A former poster (CindyM) recommended the probiotic primeus reuteri. It seems to stimulate the appetite. It helped both Nancy1 and me. I bought it at Whole Foods, and it also can be ordered on line. Nature's Way is one company that makes it. It should be refrigerated.

Try chicken and rice for a starter. -'easy on the stomach.

C diff is an anxiety ridden disease. You have lots of company and support here.

Keep posting. Best wishes.

Jkaczor
Brand New Poster

Postby Jkaczor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:35 pm

Thank you very much! Quick question, can that probiotic be taken with align? I would guess so as I’ve never heard that you can’t mix probiotics. Also, I did read the how to post section and am sorry if I made a mistake! I’m not totally myself and am not taking in info very well so perhaps I made an error in how I posted. I will review the stipulations.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:14 pm

That's Primadophilus Reuteri Bobbie.

Your very early into recovery Jennifer.
Personally I think that if you are seeing improvement then just keep on doing what your doing and dont add anything yet.
Times the best healer now so baby your gut along and see how it goes.
Bobbie posted our standard greeting, you not doing anything wrong.

Jkaczor
Brand New Poster

Postby Jkaczor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:48 pm

Thank you! Ok, I will just keep doing what I’m doing.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:18 pm

Just to offer encouragement to you.i lost a total of 40 pounds during my battle with c diff that began six months ago. In the beginning I wasn’t hungry at all but when I started recovery I think it was more that I was afraid to eat, thinking erroneously that it might cause the c diff to come back. Since then I’ve learned that food does not cause c diff to come back, however it can aggravate IBS issues, which I have had since c diff. So I have slowly added foods back, and if I get a little diarrhea I don’t allow myself to freak out because I know it’s just my gut saying, I’m not ready for that yet, so I Eliminate it for a while
Longer, knowing i can try it again down the road. Another thing I identified with in your post is the crying. I cried almost every day. I was depressed. This was a very foreign feeling for me as I never experienced depression before. My GI doctor assured me that it is not uncommon as there is a gut brain connection. So when your gut isn’t right, it can cause these feelings, plus your whole life has been turned upside down. You can’t enjoy the foods you once did and for me food was a large part of socialization. Also I was obsessed with fear of giving it to my family. Asking for help through this forum, along with discussing my fears with my doctor has helped me tremendously. I just want you to know that how you are feeling is normal. You are going to get better and you will want to eat again. I agree with not pushing yourself, just keep Taking it one day at a time. If you’re worried, come to the forum and also utilize your doctor, that’s what you pay him for. Just remember, you are not alone.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”