Might be prescribed antibiotic, have question.

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Might be prescribed antibiotic, have question.

Postby iamsick » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:05 pm

It's been 4.5 yrs since my last Vanco and have been symptom free, never retested. Tomorrow I have a visit sch'd with my doctor for routine checkup, flu shot, shingle & pneumonia vaccine. Ever since my cdiff I hate going to any doctors, avoid it like the plague. Just thinking about it makes my anxiety go through the roof. Anyway, for quite some time now I have had a spot on my shin that may have been a bug bite or ingrown hair. Never has gotten infected looking or swelled but just will not go away. It has grown to about a dime size lesion. I have attributed to getting old, now 64 yrs, and lack of circulation, not as active as I should be and my feet will swell. Got a clean bill of health from my cardiologist just a few months ago, have never had heart disease but runs in my family so I try to keep that in check. Anyway, I bet my doctor will want to prescribe me an antibiotic and since I had cdiff in the past should i have this lesion cultured for bacteria? if it is found that I do have an bacteria infection what is best to take along with the antibiotic to counter act another cdiff occurrence, Vanco or Dificid?
Teresa_68

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Might be prescribed antibiotic, have question.

Postby AllisS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:03 pm

I agree that it's important to have the lesion checked out -- but if it's biopsied, that wouldn't be to test for bacteria but rather to rule out skin cancer. I doubt that an antibiotic would be prescribed in that event.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:35 am

At our age it's always best to have lesions checked. I had one removed from my hand earlier this year and had 30+ tiny stitches, NO ANTIBIOTIC even though it got infected.
It's very unlikely to be something that's caused by bacteria and even if it is its unlikely an antibiotic is needed for such a small and localised area.
Antibs are life savers, not spot cures!

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Well doctor diagnosed the lesion as a Pyogenic granuloma, not an infection nor is it contagious. Will be removed by him in an office procedure in a few weeks, he said no worries. As long as all goes well I will not need any antibiotics. Yeah! Thanks to all for your support!
Teresa_68

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:35 am

Sometimes after biopsies they tell you to use an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. I used a different one because the biopsy got infected. Did not need any oral antibiotics. Just follow the instructions after the biopsy. Usually it is just cleaning with peroxide or saline solution and applying something like Aquafor, but the doctor should give you written instructions. When I had my biopsy, the assistant forgot to give me instructions and that is why it got infected. The antibiotic ointment took care of it though.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Thank you AllisS, Roy & Beth22. The minute he saw it he knew what is was saying he's daughter had one and was very nonchalant about it. Hopefully it will only need ointment to lessen scarring. I do have to wait a few weeks for the procedure though, he travels to Africa every year for a week to donate he expertise to train medical students.
Teresa_68

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Agree with the others. If doc prescribes salve antibiotic,make sure it isn't Cleomycin.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:10 pm

Oh for sure, I would not take that poison!!! The oral version was the one that started this nightmare for me!!! Every time I think of that I visualize Cher singing, "If I Could Turn Back Time"!
Teresa_68

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”