One more question about Strep throat

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Amila
Regular User

One more question about Strep throat

Postby Amila » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:11 am

I know the previous post was dealing with a case of strep throat as well, but I just want to ask ( especially Roy), if strep indeed should be treated with antibiotics. My 21 year old son developed various symptoms of bad flu yesterday, and yes, very sore throat However, the throat itself is better today. I picked him up early this morning from his campus , and took him to the doctor, and since he tested positive for Strep, ten days of Amoxicillin! But, there are numerous recent medical opinions that it actually should not be treated with antibiotics ; what is more, the antibiotics are given to prevent rheumatic fever, not to actually treat the strep bacterium itself.

We are in the US and of course they immediately give you antibiotic. My son is a very healthy 21 year old, whose throat, as I said, is better today then yesterday.

I am truly thinking of not giving him Amoxicillin. I know nobody is a doctor, but I would be grateful of people sharing their thoughts.

Thank you much all in advance

p.s. I had C diff - not my son. But, as everyone here, I am dreading antibiotics for anyone I care about, not only myself.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: One more question about Strep throat

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:05 pm

Amila,

You are asking a medical question we cannot answer. Ask your son's doctor.

Best wishes.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: One more question about Strep throat

Postby Ril » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:33 pm

What we can suggest to everyone who does take antibiotics is to take good probiotics as well.
This is NOT an endorsement for or against antibiotics but a suggestion for when antibiotics do become necessary.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”