Strep throat and Zpack

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Momoftwo
New User

Strep throat and Zpack

Postby Momoftwo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:21 pm

I had C diff 3 years ago. Successfully treated with one course of Flagyl. I just tested positive this week for Strep and was given a Zpack. I am TERRIFIED to take any antibiotics now and this is my first time needing them in three years. I took my first dose yesterday, haven’t taken the second dose yet today, and I’ve had three bouts of D already today. I don’t know what to do. Please help!! I’ve made an appointment for tomorrow morning with my GI doctor, I’m taking a probiotic once in the morning, Florastor 2 pills 2x a day (4 total). I’m downing everything probiotic rich I can, Kumbucha, Sauer Kraut, bone broth. But I am scared out of mind. Can anyone offer any advise or words of wisdom to keep me sane.

Thank you in advance!!!!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Strep throat and Zpack

Postby Ril » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Hello and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting and information for new posters.
Many people have taken zpaks without relapsing. Please try to stay calm. Not all d is c diff. Anxiety can caused d as can too much probiotic food and drugs when your system is not used to it so don’t overdo it. Florastor is good for most people but some have a bad reaction to it.
Another thing is that not all strep needs to be treated with abx. If it is not too bad your body may be able to fight it off on its own. Since you may be having having abx induced d, although not even c diff, you may want to discuss with your dr whether you can stop the abx. I don’t know your situation but these are things to consider.

Regardless, after a single dose I would certainly not panic. Try to relax but cut back the Florastor. I would not take more than 1 pill at a time.
Let us know how you do.
Rita

Momoftwo
New User

Postby Momoftwo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Thank you very much. I appreciate your input. I will ask the doctor about stopping the meds. Would that be bad though for my strep infection to stop the meds early? Could that cause it to stay in my body— I don’t want the possibility of needing a stronger antibiotic.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:40 am

I would not stop without talking to your doctor. Zpak can give D that is not c difficile.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:16 am

Momoftwo,
I am very susceptibille to c diff (3'bouts) but tolerated a z pak several times without a problem. Do check with your doc about stopping medication.

Momoftwo
New User

Postby Momoftwo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:57 pm

I did finish the Zpack and it has been almost a month, with no issues (knock on wood). But I am afraid the strep infection has come back. I started feeling a sore throat yesterday. I thought it was seasonal allergies. I actually got my flu shot yesterday. My throat has hurt pretty bad today. No fever or chills, yet at least. I’m scared that it is back. I was a wreck to go antibiotics the first time but now I’m now even more in a panic. I’ve read that strep can go away on its own, or with home remedies. Has anyone tried this?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:46 pm

The flu shot can have side effects, this one gave me a sore throat and ear pain for a few days.

If you find the sore throat is persistent and does not go away and you do need to see your MD, have them do a Throat culture and sensitivities. They often do a quick strep, if you have had CDI, always get a culture done. It takes more time but you get an accurate results on what grew out , how much, and also what it's sensitive to.

Hope you feel better

NanciT

Momoftwo
New User

Postby Momoftwo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Thank you for your help. I’m praying it is just the shot.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 pm

The key is not to panic, which is our tendency.
NanciT gave you the perfect advice.
And remember, at absolute worst, you already tolerated a zpak, as many do, but you are far from there!

Momoftwo
New User

Postby Momoftwo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:13 am

I believe it is strep again. I can tell by the symptoms now. Can anyone suggest an antibiotic this time around? I want to be prepared when going to the doctor. I will ask for a culture too. I’m worried that I was already on the Zpack and now something new will open me up for a possible Cdiff infection.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:45 am

If your 3 days into an uncomplicated strep throat antibiotics have little effect.
If given at the very first sign of symptoms they reduce the infection by one day at best.
In UK you would be very unlikely to be treated for strep throat.
Antibiotics reduce the time your infectious to other people and in US Drs still prescribe them to prevent what are VERY VERY VERY rare complications that are almost unheard of in western countries.
They do so out of habit, because thats what they have always done.
UK Drs have realised that the side effects and risks from antibiotics given for an infection that's going to resolve in 7 days ( without treatment) far out weigh the benefits.
There are exceptions such as people with compromised immunity or heart problems so discuss with your Dr.
If you go to your Dr with the expectation of treatment they will probably treat but if you ask if it will go away by itself the Dr would say yes!

Momoftwo
New User

Postby Momoftwo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:28 am

Thank you, Roy. I asked with the infection a month ago if I needed the medication and her response was, it will probably resolve on it’s own but could present kidney or heart problems down the road. She pushed to me taking the medication. I waited 5 days, did some home remedies and then gave in and took the zpack. This is all very stressful. I don’t have any known heart conditions, but I feel if I do have it again in a months time my immunity can’t be great! I’ve never had any major illnesses, other than the Cdiff 3 years ago. I was a very healthy child. I didn’t start having illness until I was older and I’m wondering if it is stress/anxiety induced. I thought about seeking out a holistic doctor but I live in a rural area and there aren’t many options. Thank you all for your time and help. It does make me feel better to have others advise and opinions. I don’t have many people I can talk to this about.

maxny2
New User

Postby maxny2 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:50 pm

Thanks Roy.

I have strep for the second time this year. Certainly it's unpleasant, but I think I'll let my immune system do it's thing again.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”