Vanco after dificid

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
tarap
Regular User

Vanco after dificid

Postby tarap » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:27 pm

Has anyone had any success with taking Vanco after dificid? I have taken flagyl and dificid so far. Thanks in advance.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco after dificid

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:29 pm

This is not common. Did the doctor recommend this for you?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:56 am

All i can tell you is that this treatment is not in the guidelines and it also doesn't make any sense . Dificid is used to kill active Cdiff but to spare the good flora , Vanco on the other hand doesn't do that (kills Cdiff but also kills about 20% of your good bacteria). If i were you i would look for another doctor.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:00 am

When you taper down a dose or stop meds the return of mild symptoms is fairly normal.
The body has to overcome any germinating spores that the meds can not kill.
Anything except watery D 3 times a day and for 3 consecutive days can be normal recovery and taking meds during this time just hits the restart button.
You will test positive while the recovery is going on.
NO meds kill all the c.diff, they reduce it to a normal level and when you stop meds your body has to mop up the remaining infection.
It's a worrying time but jumping on meds because of mild symptoms increases the relapse rate.
I would let my immune system do its job and only treat if full on c.diff symptoms including watery D returned.
A positive test after treatment does not indicate if treatment is needed and a negative test does not mean it's gone!!!
Using vanco after dificid is unusual but dificid is only superior if it's used as the first and only med.
the reason is not that it's better at killing c.diff, even flagyl is equal at the killing part, the reason is theres a lower rate of relapse with dificid because it causes less harm and your body is in a much better condition to finish off the remaining spores.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Another vote for "watch, wait, and worry." You can do this.

tarap
Regular User

Postby tarap » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks guys! I'm still on the dificid I was tapering down and symptoms came back so I went back up to two pills per day (drs orders) they called in another script for dificid and I am going to start tapering down again. They just mentioned next might be vanco. The first week I felt great but since I have gone down hill while on dificid. This disease really screws with the mind. Hopefully the dificid will cure it this time. I also have relapsed at 11 months and 9 weeks without any antibiotic use. Just stressed

AngelaB
New User

Postby AngelaB » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi Roy:

You mentioned that Dificid is only superior if it is used as the first and only medication. I just finished a 10 day course of Dificid after a very long taper of Vanco. I had a relapse about 8 weeks after, where I was starting to pass blood and mucus again (hence the Dificid). It seems that a number of people that wrote in had success with a 30 day taper. Do you think the 10 day Dificid would be less effective for me given the fact that I was on Vanco for so long? Also, what are your thoughts on taking Florastor? I have been taking it pretty consistently since the c-diff but I don't know if it is helping or hurting.

Angela

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”