How effective is Dificid?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Katw1986
Brand New Poster

How effective is Dificid?

Postby Katw1986 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 pm

I tested positive for C. Diff on June 27, 2019 after 6 months of intense abdominal pain and diarrhea (this was the first time I had been tested since my symptoms started).

I have taken 2 courses of Vancomycin (14 days each) and still tested positive. I was prescribed Dificid 3 days ago and I feel like my symptoms are worse than before.

Has anyone here taken Dificid and had it fail to clear your C. Diff?

Or taken Dificid and had your symptoms become worse before they got better?

Another general question for anyone who has taken Dificid- has anyone experienced bright yellow diarrhea on Dificid?

32/F
C. Diff positive 2 months/symptoms 8 months/origin unknown
32/F
C. Diff positive / origin unknown

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: How effective is Dificid?

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I can relate to your concerns. My experience was difficult. I started with Flagyl, then went to Vanco for 10 days. Relapsed and went to Vanco for 3 months. Relapsed and went to Dificid for 10 days. Relapsed and went on a long Dificid taper and finally beat it

I did not feel well on Dificid but it works. We have had several on the site who have been on a 30 day taper and done great. I had CDIFF in 2014-2015 and the FDA tried to stop FMT's and I had no option other than a Dificid taper. It does work, it's expensive and difficult to get insurance to cover more than the 10 days.

I don't recall if I had diarrhea while on it, I do know I went to the ER for abdominal pain. Just did not feel well on that long taper. But it does work. Check with your GI if you continue having diarrhea while on it

Wishing you the best

NanciT

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:09 pm

I took it in 2016 after I relapsed after Vanco. I did have D most of my time on it. The GI told me to stick with it for the full 10 days. It worked! Good luck!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Many of our posters found Dificid effective. It is the first Med developed solely to treat c diff. Some people have side effects but every Med has some.

Best of luck, and let us know how U do. Keep posting.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”