Relapse Questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse Questions

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 am

Vanco did give me weird bms. I started taking probiotics and things improved some.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:34 am

It's not necessarily the Vanco that is giving you the abnormal stool. I think is more due to the damage done to the good gut microbes that are killed because of Vanco. Taking a probiotic might help. There are several brands but from my experience the ones who actually did something for me were Saccharomyces Boulardii and Megasporebiotics (that i am still taking to this day , and it's by far the best one i've tried).

lunasdad
Regular User

Postby lunasdad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:41 am

I am taking FLorostar 2 pills at night. Not sure why but I feel worse today then I have felt all week. I slept well last night and I was feeling pretty good yesterday. Just very tired and out of it. It is day 8 of the relapse treatment so I have another week of the Vanco but I feel worse now than I have felt. Is that typical of Vanco to make you feel this run down? I am not having WBM but I am having bouts of nausea. Wishing this would end so I can get back to normal.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:04 pm

When I had relapses and took vanco, the medication helped the first few days and then after about 6 or 7 days I would feel worse too. When I did a taper, I felt pretty good when I took it 3 x per day as I could take it with meals. But, then the longer I took vanco, the worse I would feel. I did a chaser with Xifaxan once and that seemed to help some. It is different for everyone. See how you do after you finish the medication. You may start to feel better when you taper down. I could not tolerate Florastor at all. It made everything worse. I took VSL#3.

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:35 pm

I was diagnosed with CDIFF on Jan 3rd. I was 9 1/2 months pregnant at the time and my OB was the one to treat me (I had way more issues as well, that woman saved my life!). She prescribed Flagyl, since that is what was recommended to her. I took it for either 10-14 days (I can’t remember). I was absolutely miserable the whole time. While in labor I developed an infection that required me to have multiple antibiotics for 48 hours. A week later the c diff came back. My OB got me into a GI the next day who prescribed Vanco. I took it for 14 days. Sometimes I felt better and other times I didn’t feel well at all. A month later I had to have a surgery that required a single dose of antibiotics. A week later it came back. HOWEVER, by the time the stool test came back 3 days later I was already feeling much better. My GI wanted me to go on a 2 month Vanco taper, but thanks to the advice of this group and my sister who is a nurse talking to the GIs at the hospital that she works at, I decided not to take it. The 2nd treatment, but first time on Vanco, didn’t completely cure it, but it did beat it down enough that my body was able to fight it off. I’ve been waiting to hit the 6 month mark to post in the success stories page. I know that this process can be maddening, but you will beat this! Trust that the medicine is working and see what happens after you’re off of the Vanco. Don’t judge your body by how it is responding while on very strong antibiotics.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:24 am

Calgirl,
Thx for your encouraging post. You are the best! Congrats on seeking advice but your willingness to try alternative Treatments and support others.

We will celebrate your six month victory dance! Enjoy your baby.

lunasdad
Regular User

Postby lunasdad » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:09 pm

I have not posted in a few days as I decided to go away with my family. Today is my last day on Vanco. I have only had 1 WBM in the last several days and continue to remain careful about what I am eating. I am finding that when I do go, its is not much. My hope is that once I stop the Vanco my stomach can start to baseline and I can move on. I am leaving on a cross country work trip on Monday which is causing some anxiety but I am planning on going and just taking a lot of Imodium and will pack the extra Vanco in case things go downhill. For those that have had a single relapse, aside from taking probiotics (I am taking Florostar, 2 pills at night), would appreciate any advice as to how to make sure I don't have another relapse. Much appreciated to all of the folks on this site that have taken the time to respond to me. I especially like reading the success stories.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:26 pm

Lunasdad,
You are doing all u can do. Try to relax and enjoy your trip. I do know how difficult that will be.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”