Scared

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cake918
Regular User

Re: Scared

Postby cake918 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:28 pm

Could the pepto I’ve taken mask the D? I took one three days ago and then another today as I was having a lot of nausea, cramping and 1 formed and 1 muddy B.M. I HATE this stuff, I just want to feel normal again!! What meds do you take for your IBS?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Cake913,
I remember you. Sorry u are still having problems but many do. Read the info about prebiotic fiber products and probiotics,

Doubt very much u hav c diff after a year, but suppose this is remotely possible. U said had IBS in the past. Using Imodium and Pepto can be helpful but act much like slamming on the brakes of your car and can have side effects.

Read the info about The Three Day Rule and Roy's post about Anxiety in General Diccussion,

Keep posting.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:23 am

That dose of Pepto would not mask c difficile. If it helps the D for a few days, it sounds like IBS, but check with your doctor. When I had a relapse of c difficile, Pepto did not stop the D. Now when I have tested positive without many symptoms, it did help the D. My doctor told me not to treat unless my symptoms got worse, so I didn't and eventually I tested negative for c difficile.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:00 am

Have you tried a binding agent like Questran , Enteragam? Might help you.
When i was at my worst , Imodium was the only thing that helped settle down my gut , needed 2 pills in the morning and 1 before bed to be able to have a manageable day at work.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:53 am

I’ve taken Imodium over the past few days and it settles my stomach. I’m trying to back off of the Imodium but if that’s what I need to live on to make life manageable, I’ll do it. Hoping this is just an IBS flair from a lot of stress and poor eating/drinking habits. Thank you all so much for everything, you do not know how much this forum helps me!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:54 am

Georgina is right. I have taken both questran and Enteragam for IBS and they worked. I also took xifaxan which is for SIBO but also works for IBS and helped me for a year...unfortunately the repeat doses did not work for me although it does for some. There are medication options other than Imodium. Speak with your GI and ask about these. I am still on medication now. C diff did a number on my gut but I did not relapse or get reinfected after a year, I just had to work with my GI to find a way to deal with these IBS symptoms.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:20 pm

My husband keeps telling me it’s just IBS but you know how us cdiff survivors are..... I’m making an appointment with GI when I get home from vacation and hopefully we can start to work through options. I don’t constantly feel like this but it’s a pretty bad flare. Trying IBSolution right now, saw it worked for others so I’m giving it a shot, all natural but my Imodium and pepto are going with me on vacation. Thank you for all the suggestions and for always being patient with the never ending questions. Didn’t think I could get cdiff back after a year but wanted some insight from the veterans. Thanks again.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Last question, can xiafaxan cause cdiff relapse?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:42 pm

ANY antibiotic can cause c.diff, even those that are used to treat it.
Xifaxan kills around half of the c.diff strains and is sometimes used as "chaser" after other c.diff treatments.
It's a low offender but not 100% safe.
You have to weigh up if the benifit might be greater than the risks.
If the symptoms can be controlled by diet and less drastic meds you might be better off waiting a while to see if it improves.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Have you tried fiber? My GI recommended benefiber over everything else and when things are going south, literally, it really helps to bulk it back up. I tried garden of life probiotics for around a week and it was like a Tijuana colonic. I stopped the garden of life and switched back to pro50 and benefiber and everything is back to normal. I don’t sweat the ibs stuff to much because I don’t feel sick, just bubbly stomach and D. Cdiff felt like the worst food poisoning known to man minus the throwing up part of it.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:33 pm

I have never tried fiber or any other alternatives other than pepto and Imodium. They gave me questran when I was battling cdiff but I read I shouldn’t take it with active infection so I didn’t. I’m going to get my diet back in check and try to stop stressing. See the GI when I get back and try to get it all back under control. I had bad flares prior to cdiff but it’s just scary now. Thanks everyone.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”