Is it easy to get it?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Amila
Regular User

Is it easy to get it?

Postby Amila » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:37 am

Hello everyone,

Some of you may remember me, although I at some point lost my log in, so I registered again. I was successfully treated with Vanco in April 2016., after getting C diff from 10 days of Clindamycin, AND also Amoxicillin. I have been very careful since and although I took short courses of Macrobid since, I never had problems, thank God. My question is: apart from antibiotics and stomach acid suppressors, how easy is it to get it when you are generally healthy ( I am 58 years old)? I am asking this because every time I touch my mouth or put my finger in the mouth without thinking, without washing my hands before that, I really start getting worried and scared. That happened to me yesterday: I was touching my shoes in the shoe closet, and since I was in a hurry, I left my house after that without washing my hands first. Then, in the car, I caught myself biting one of my fingers. I immediately became aware of what I was doing, but couple of seconds too late, obviously. In such everyday situations, how vulnerable are we who had the beast once before? Or are we pretty safe? If these had not been shoes, I would probably not be worried much.

Thank you all for responding,

roy
Administrator

Re: Is it easy to get it?

Postby roy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:53 am

C.diff is a very common bacteria found in soil, it follows that it's common in our homes, our food, on our shoes, and almost anywhere else.
Most of the time it is harmless and just lives alongside or is eliminated by the several thousand other types of bacteria that we consume daily!
It's not a disease but like most bacteria it has the POTENTIAL to make you sick if it gets in the wrong place or grows out of control because of some outside influence.

Recently I read an article by a Dr who said he would let his kids roll on the floor of the New York subway because the bacteria they picked up would boost their immune system!
The only way to obtain a healthy gut bacteria is to ingest it, that means not being too worried about eating "dirt"

Amila
Regular User

Re: Is it easy to get it?

Postby Amila » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Roy,

What words of encouragement! That is what I actually thought, but the stupid C Diff instilled this fear in us.

Thank you so much!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”