C diff again

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bana
Brand New Poster

C diff again

Postby Bana » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Hello All ,
I would like your advise , I had a c diff 6 years ago , it took some time till the doctors checked me for c diff and eventually I was treated with flagyl. It took me some time after to get to normal . I also suffer with recurrent UTI . Took Macrobid and 10 days after I went to the bathroom and passed mucus ( no stool) the next 2 days I had bowel movement with mucus, but only 1 time a day , today no mucus but soft stool and smelly ,,, I order c diff test , but I just read here that sometimes c diff can resolve by itself. I don’t feel pain and only 1 bowel movement a day. My question is if the labs come positive should I treat it ? I don’t want to take antibiotics if no needed, but on other side I don’t want to get to what happened 6 years ago , I had lots of cramps, pain , mucus and blood in the stool ( I never had watery daheria ) and I am thinking it might be because I wasn’t diagnosed right away .I was felling very bad !!! I also can’t believe that macrobid caused c diff, I took it lots of time the last 6 years but never relapsed. It should be pretty light antibiotic. Could it be something else causing the mucus and bad smell in my stool ? If you believe my body can heal itself, what do you advise me to take / do to help get my body fight with the infection? I also breastfeed my son and don’t know what probiotics I can take while breastfeeding? I would like to know what you guys think? What should I do ?

jG43
Contributor

Re: C diff again

Postby jG43 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:13 pm

My gi will not order a test for solid stool. He has had c-diff himself and specializes in fmt in my area. He only treats if his patients are having multiple episodes of wd that does not resolve in 2 to 3 days, I am not an expert or giving any medical
Advice. This is just what I have experienced with my gi. I dealt with ibs before I had c-diff and I would often experience mucus with stool and without. Mucus can be common for lots of reasons besides c-diff. I often have it when I am constipated

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: C diff again

Postby D1dad » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:28 am

If it were me I wouldn’t take an awful antibiotic for such light symptoms. I’d take pepto a few times a day for a couple days and see what happens. I’ve had some minor issues like this over the last 5 months and now way would I have gone down the Ab rabbit hole over them.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”