I had an extended hospital stay in which I acquire C diff, few questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
posthxc
New User

I had an extended hospital stay in which I acquire C diff, few questions

Postby posthxc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:20 am

Edit: as per guidelines. I am approx 36 years old and male. I woke up one morning and had coffee-ground emesis, couldn't maintain consciousness so they took me to the hospital. They gave me two units of blood and suspected an upper GI bleed. I was transferred to another hospital and was given two more units of blood. After 4 days in Medical ICU, which at no time was I given antibiotics they did an upper scope and cauterized an ulcer that was bleeding very bad in several different places. The put me in a step-down unit that had four isolated patients for C Diff infections. I had no idea what C diff was at the time. They were set to realease me to go home that day and I started running a fever. 99.9, 101.3, then 103.5. Also going to the bathroom 10-15 times a day. The doctor on call had already went home for the night but suspected it was C diff he started me on Acetaminophen for the fever and ice packs and oral Vancomycin for the C Diff. 6 days later I left the hospital, couldn't get the Vanco filled so they filled Flagyl instead which I took for ten days along with Florastor, which my normal doctor prescribed. Two days after I finished the Flagyl, which was July 4th. two days later I felt like I had a fever again, but I don't. I have horrible abdominal cramps which I never had during the initial infection. I've been sleeping a lot and taking my temperature. I've also been going to the restroom 4 - 5 times a day, which I'm sure is a reccurence. Waiting for my doctor to come back on monday. When my doctor comes back should I have a walk in appointment with her or just try to get an antibiotic and If I do, which one. Or should I go see her and have a toxin test done. Though I'm fairly certain due to the smell that this is a recurrence.
Edit: I would be the day after tomorrow, again, sorry I've been sleeping a lot.
Last edited by posthxc on Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: I had an extended hospital stay in which I acquire C diff, few questions

Postby AllisS » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi posthxc, welcome to the site. When you have a chance, please read our guidelines for all new posters, which you'll find in the first thread of the forum.

Flagyl is no longer the recommended treatment for C. diff, so it's too bad that, for whatever reason, vanco wasn't available to you. If your symptoms haven't decreased within the next couple of days, ask your doctor to prescribe either vanco or Dificid; do not accept a second course of Flagyl. As for a toxin test: treatment shouldn't be based on a test result, only on symptoms. Having had recent C. diff, you may well have a positive test result whether the infection is currently active or not.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Another welcome.

Follow Allison's good advice. Become acquainted with c diff - lots of info on this site and others.

The most important advice: wash your hands often and well - after using the bathroom, before eating, etc.

Keep us posted.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:33 pm

Did the hospital just assume you have c.diff or did they do a stool test to confirm it?

I would be VERY concerned if a hospital had 4 cases (5 including you) of c.diff at the same time!
That hospital would have severe problems.

posthxc
New User

Postby posthxc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:40 pm

AllisS wrote:
> Hi posthxc, welcome to the site. When you have a chance, please read our
> guidelines for all new posters, which you'll find in the first thread of
> the forum.
>
> Flagyl is no longer the recommended treatment for C. diff, so it's too bad
> that, for whatever reason, vanco wasn't available to you. If your symptoms
> haven't decreased within the next couple of days, ask your doctor to
> prescribe either vanco or Dificid; do not accept a second course of Flagyl.
> As for a toxin test: treatment shouldn't be based on a test result, only on
> symptoms. Having had recent C. diff, you may well have a positive test
> result whether the infection is currently active or not.

Thank you. I will read the guidelines. I'm not very good about things like that, especially when my brains a bit foggy. I was initially upset about having to accept the flagyl as I had read it was no longer the recommended course of treatment. Thank you very much for the advice.

posthxc
New User

Postby posthxc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Bobbie wrote:
> Another welcome.
>
> Follow Allison's good advice. Become acquainted with c diff - lots of info
> on this site and others.
>
> The most important advice: wash your hands often and well - after using the
> bathroom, before eating, etc.
>
> Keep us posted.
Thank you! I will keep you posted. I was always very religious about hand washing before so it became natural to me to do so now, that and clean my clothes and bathroom with bleach.

posthxc
New User

Postby posthxc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:49 pm

roy wrote:
> Did the hospital just assume you have c.diff or did they do a stool test to
> confirm it?
>
> I would be VERY concerned if a hospital had 4 cases (5 including you) of
> c.diff at the same time!
> That hospital would have severe problems.
His exact words were, and I assume this was based on all the other isolated patients on the floor. "I assumed it was cdiff so I orderered Vanco before I had left that day and your stool sample came back positive when I returned to work this morning." I m pretty upset about the hospital but not sure if I would be able to prove it was negligence from not following proper cdiff protocol.

posthxc
New User

Postby posthxc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:07 pm

I will be seeing the doctor tomorrow. The bathroom issues have been decreasing but i've still be having severe abdominal pain. I want to ask her for Vanco just because I'm scared of what could happen if i don't. I appreciate the opinions I've received so far and would be most appreciative of any further opinions. Edit: more information have not ran a temperature the entire time although I feel like I am if that makes any sense.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:53 pm

posthxc,
Pls don't repeat someone's entire post when answering him/her. The name alone is sufficient.

posthxc
New User

Postby posthxc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:48 pm

Bobbie,
My apologies.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:48 am

Well, here is my opinion. If your symptoms are decreasing I'd hold off on asking for a vanco prescription. It's not a good idea to subject yourself to vanco treatment "just in case." Abdominal pain in the absence of other symptoms is unlikely to be C. diff, though certainly such pain should be checked out in its own right.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

posthxc
New User

Postby posthxc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 am

AllisS:
I most likely will have it checked out tomorrow. Especially since it's quite extreme. I am feeling quite a bit better though other than the stomach pain. Which I never had any pain during the course of my infection, or any of the issues I've had which motivated me to make the first post. Nausea, malaise, no appetite, the bathroom issues were the only consistent symptom. I haven't went at all today. I plan on telling her all of that and see what she thinks we should do. A friend of mine who's an ICU/Oncology nurse agreed with your assessment. Thanks again.

posthxc
New User

Postby posthxc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:40 pm

AllisS
They gave me a stool sample kit to go home with to test for toxins and c diff colitis. They really didn't have an answer for the abdominal cramps I've been having but that's what they are doing so far. They think the cramps are from colitis so they want me to bring back the sample when I can and as soon as possible.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:19 pm

No problem re repetition. Most posters don't read directions well - too upset and understandable.

Try a heating pad for the cramping. Check with doc first. There are two antispasmodic meds. - Bentyl and Levsin. They can help but can have side effects.

Yep, probably colitis or IBS - common after c diff. With any label, a pain in the ass.

Glad you followed Allis's advice. Hang in there.

posthxc
New User

Postby posthxc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Bobbie:
Thank you very much. I will ask the doctor about the heating pad. I know I have one around here. I will ask about the other medications when my results come back. I'm fairly certain I've taken one of them before.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”