Ciprofloxacin eye drops

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Mzperx
New User

Ciprofloxacin eye drops

Postby Mzperx » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:58 am

My mom (58yo) was prescribed today an eye drop called Ciloxan for an eye infection. The drug contains Ciprofloxacin. She (and all of the family) was exposed to cdiff, because my grandma got cdiff after a surgery in hospital and for quite some time nobody warned us about the nature of this infection and no preventive measurements were taken. Cdiff was not the direct cause of, but contributed to the passing of my grandmother. My grandma developed the infection around the middle/end of May and died 17th of June.

I know that Cipro tends to be one of the worse offenders, but I also have read that antibiotics taken not orally, but as an ointment or eye drop may not be that dangerous.

Does anyone have any experience with Cipro eye drops? She is supposed to use it for 2 days. And she has a very bad cough right now too, which the doctor (PCP) told is caused by a virus.

Since I know about the existence of this bacterium and what it may cause, I'm an anxious mess. (you can tell from my other posts here that I'm a really anxious person generally. :(). And because I annoy the heck out of my family with my worrying, my mom told the doctor about our experience with cdiff and my gran, and she told her that it shouldn't generate any problems, but because of the general attitude towards antibiotics and HAIs in my country, I am worried.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Ciprofloxacin eye drops

Postby georgina » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:16 am

Even if a member of your family had Cdiff doesn't mean that everybody will develop the disease .I had Cdiff on and off for four years and my husband was exposed . We shared the same bathroom , same bed , he even had to take Ciprofloxacin three years ago and one year ago had a course of Spiramycin. We shared most of the viruses , flu etc , but NEVER shared Cdiff.

Mzperx
New User

Postby Mzperx » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 am

Thank you, Georgina.

Yes, rationally I know that it is not a given that everyone who has been exposed will develop the infection. I just can't reason with myself when my anxiety level rises high. And I'm always thinking about worst case scenarios.

Btw, my mom didn't take the Cipro eyedrops, she uses an another one which doesn't contain antibiotics and is OTC, so I hope that it clears out the pink eye without crossinfections and other problems.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:22 pm

I recently had pinkeye and was given erythromycin eye ointment. It helped the pinkeye and did not cause GI problems. I doubt that Cipro would either, but I have not used that drop.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:53 pm

The eye is self contained so little, if any, of the drops would be aborbed.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”