When Can I Eat Out Again?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
KFM
New User

When Can I Eat Out Again?

Postby KFM » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi Friends,
I'm 6.5 weeks in remission after appx. 2 months of recurrent Cdiff (which followed a ruptured appendix and massive antibiotics and additional fallout). Since I was diagnosed with Cdiff in March, I have not eaten out at all. I was very very sick (it took two rounds of Vanco and one round of Difficid to get me into remission) and was advised by a few folks I'd known who'd had Cdiff to cook all my own food and avoid restaurants. I've been on an extremely careful and limited diet and my gut seems to finally be healing! I've even put a couple pounds back on. I'm praying it keeps going in this direction. I know I'm not out of the woods yet.

I have yet to be retested because the docs wanted me to wait until 8 weeks.

My question is: When do you think it's ok to eat out again? I'm not speaking in terms of PI-IBS because I have had some of that and expect it will come back here and there. I'm speaking more in terms of being susceptible to being exposed to CDiff in restaurants.

I'm about to take my first real trip since this all started in January and don't know if I should just keep cooking at the apt I've rented, or if I'd be ok now eating in a restaurant?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Karen

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: When Can I Eat Out Again?

Postby NanciT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Hi Karen

This is such an individual thing. We have posters who went back to eating everything with no issues. First I should say I would not be concerned with CDIFF exposure, it is everywhere. I work in a hospital. yes I am far more cautious then I was in the past and I no longer work with patients.

My point is, we can be exposed anywhere. I have taken my time eating out due to post IBS, that is what has put things on pause for me. My gut has taken a long time to recover after a year with CDIFF.

Maybe just take it slow, I went slow on all of this.

Most do NOT retest, my GI's never did unless I thought I had a relapse.

Wishing you the best!

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:01 am

I think you might be just fine eating in a restaurant as long as you are having easy to digest meals and , of course , as long as you trust that the kitchen is clean and they are using fresh ingredients.

KFM
New User

Postby KFM » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:31 am

Thanks to both of you. Now that I'm finally feeling almost normal, I'm terrified to get sick again, which I know only folks who've been through this understand! I'll cautiously dip my toes back into outside food world.

Warmly,
Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 pm

Welcome to the site.

I always ate out during my three bouts of c diff (first one lasted 4'years. I was careful what I ate,however. I did not eat dairy for a long time and ate only salads I fixed.

C diff is an "anxious" disease. Go slowly for awhile.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”