Relative in Hospital with cdiff. Overworrying?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Mzperx
New User

Relative in Hospital with cdiff. Overworrying?

Postby Mzperx » Fri May 31, 2019 4:56 am

My grandma got cdiff after having broken her leg in hospital. She is 86. We live in Eastern Europe and health care here is pretty much in shambles. They only told us that she acquired 'some' bacteria. After researching the drugs she is being given (metro, later vanco), I put 2 and 2 together that it is cdiff, later this was confirmed. She is not isolated bc the hospital doesn't have room for that. For quite some time, no gloves were worn, and gowns still are not, because health care here is very underfunded. All we were told to wash hands. Witch we do, of course, but this makes my eczema almost untolerable. I had never even heard of this infection, it's quite a challenge to find any info on it in my native language, so this forum is a godsend, thank you. Now I'm really worried and very, very anxious. She refuses to eat, drink, lowering her chances to get the good bacteria back in her gut. I wonder if family members are at risk of having acquired this as well, and I am really worried bc my sister already has IBS. Do we need to/can we do anything to prevent us developing an infection besides being cautious about taking antibiotics? Do we post a threat to our coworkers/flatmates? Is it necessary/helpful to start cleaning rigorously? I know that there is no way to know (or at least not recommended to get tested) if we are carriers or not, so do we need to make any special precautions at this time? Thank you in advance.

roy
Administrator

Re: Relative in Hospital with cdiff. Overworrying?

Postby roy » Fri May 31, 2019 6:41 am

Washing your hands is mainly to stop you spreading it around the hospital. (theres sick people there who are at risk of catching it)
Theres little risk to visitors who are healthy.
I see your in Hungary.
Georgina lives close (Romania) so might post more about the local healthcare.
You might want to buy disposable gloves to wear when your visiting.
You will still need to wash your hands but not so much.
The isolation, gloves and gowning is to protect other patients, not your grandmother or visitors.
I am in the UK, supposedly with much better healthcare.
When my mother was diagnosed the nurse put a handwritten note on the wall behind her bed saying isolation and they closed the curtains!
Scared the heck out of the other 7 patients in the ward and made her feel terrible.

Has the D stopped?
Your Grandmother is old and seriously sick but on the correct treatment, I hope she recovers but be prepared that she might not.

Mzperx
New User

Postby Mzperx » Fri May 31, 2019 7:06 am

Thank you, Roy, appreciated.
As far as i know, the D has not stopped, but lessened. I know that for her with underlying medical problems and age, it might be fatal or even if she gets better, it might come back. In the hospital, other than that the nurses wear gloves and masks when changing her (bedridden due to the fall, doesn't use the bathroom) no other measures are taken. Really not their fault, our healthcare is horrible.

Mzperx
New User

Postby Mzperx » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:48 am

My grandmother passed away. We don't know yet if it was directly or indirectly because of the cdiff, she had other serious medical problems as well.
Thank you very much for the information on this forum. I wish everyone else who is battling this infection recovery and healing.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:06 am

Sorry to hear such bad news.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:15 am

I am so very sorry for the loss of your Grandmother

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:24 pm

I am sorry about your grandmother.
But your family should not be worried about yourselves. You will all be fine.

Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:17 am

I am so sorry to hear she passed away .:((
If the healthcare in Hungary is bad , in Romania is the worst!!

Mzperx
New User

Postby Mzperx » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:22 am

Thank you everyone.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”