Relapse? Unsure!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Kuro
Contributor

Relapse? Unsure!

Postby Kuro » Fri May 24, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I used to be very active on the boards. Sorry to have vanished, but it was to the point that I was “living” CDI and needed to cut the cord. Wasn’t psychologically healthy. Well, I’m back with fears.

I’m 1 1/2 years out from my one course of Vanco and very gradually had come to a state of normalcy. Not as I used to be, but steady and unworried. Actually had gone back to chronic C like in the good pre-CDI days!

Well, as of the night of almost four days ago, I’m worried. I had an attack which pretty much cleared out anything formed. Now, I had done an increase in my fiber probably too quickly, and I passed it off as being that. Exact same thing had happened before.

Next day, Each time I ate (rice Chex & toast breakfast, baked chicken breast and rice dinner), I was getting hit with cramping attacks. Without being graphic, mush in the bottom of the bowl. It was apparent enough that it was happening with eating, I tried an experiment yesterday. No food, just hydrating. Sure enough, not one attack. Dared to eat breakfast again today and got hit. I eat a very bland diet, so it’s not that, for sure. Generally two attacks a day, seems to be after eating, and don’t really feel ill otherwise.

My mom told be she’d had something similar in the same frame of time, but she’s better today (I’m physically disabled, so she has to drive me wherever I go). Also, this doesn’t seem to be acting like CDI as I know it. Does anyone agree with that thought? I would think it would be hitting constantly all day, food or no.

Only thing I can think of is that I made a brief lab visit the first day, before the attack hit that night, for a blood draw. I was really careful to touch nothing and scrub up once home, but maybe mom and I caught something there? Just seems like it would be an oddly fast onset of whatever, if we did.

Of course, it’s Friday and my GI is out for the weekend. Really, really do not want to go to the ER, especially since I have had no problems with drinking water and so can stay hydrated. My ER history isn’t exactly stellar, either.

Hard to believe it would be a relapse just out of nowhere after 1 1/2 years out, with zero risk factors. I asked my folks to grab me some Pepto and I am considering it. Pretty scared but trying to not panic. I would imagine the Dificid I received charitably but never needed has probably expired by now, though it was never unsealed.

Guess I just needed reassurance that maybe it could be something else. The hope that the fiber increase caused it is getting thin after this many days. Maybe the Pepto would offer some relief over the weekend. :/

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse? Unsure!

Postby Ril » Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 pm

It is extremely unlikely that it is what would be a new case of c diff. You really have no risk factors. You have not taken antibiotics, have not been in a hospital or nursing home and have been careful with hand washing. You do not have significant watery d. It sounds as though you have a bug of some kind, especially since your mom has had the same thing. The worse thing you can do is to take the dificid but I don’t see the harm in taking the pepto- just my opinion. Eat bland and stay hydrated and try not to panic. If you get worse you can go to urgent care but I wouldn’t if it were me unless things went significantly downhill.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Fri May 24, 2019 10:28 pm

Thanks Ril,

As I said, I am physically disabled and basically don’t even go out except for necessary trips. My folks do the groceries and all that as I can’t drive. I don’t see any chance for a new strain except that brief lab visit, and I haven’t been ill. I can’t imagine just spontaneously relapsing this far out. Never stopped the essential habits: wash hands, germicidal on toilet after BMs, some bleach in laundry, etc.

Have tried so hard and come so far, I just don’t get it.

It’s a holiday weekend, so may have to be urgent care or ER if I can’t get by til Tuesday. My folks got the chewable Pepto, so I am trying two of those (1 dose) at bedtime tonight and will see how it is.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:34 am

Sorry you are going through this, but I agree with Ril that it sounds more like a bug of some kind. Pepto always helped me with those types of episodes. If things get worse, go to Urgent Care, but it does not sound as if it is out of control. Dificid has a long shelf life. Check the bottle for the expiration date. Mine was good for a couple of years. Hope you feel better.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Sat May 25, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks all. You don’t know how much I hope you’re right that it’s a bug! I would just die if I’d made it so far out just to relapse for no reason.

I took the dose of Pepto at bedtime last night, ad another wen I got up today, about 30m before I had a couple pieces of toast and a little rice Chex. So far, I have not had to go. Kinda felt like I needed to, but nothing happened in that department. Does this better my odds that it’s not CDI?

I’m sure it may just be the Pepto constipating me (I got the liquid to more easily take smaller doses today) given I’m normally C because that’s just how I am, but I could use the hope. If I were C because the D were over, I’d be happy as could be! Never wanted to go back to daily C so much in my life. LOL!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:22 pm

When I had a true relapse, Pepto did not help. For IBS or whatever the episodes were, it did. I did better with the liquid as I could control the dose better.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed May 29, 2019 12:41 pm

I agree with beth. Nothing would stop the cdiff- not pepto or imodium or anything. There is a NASTY stomach virus hitting some western areas here with D and cramping/vomiting for up to a week. We have seen an influx in babies/young children with dehydration due to it.
I am hoping for you that its a terrible virus and it'll get better soon. Please keep us all informed. Take care!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 29, 2019 9:25 pm

Zapper, you mentioned that Imodium would not stop the d if it were c diff. Please be aware that it is not advisable to take Imodium when you have c diff, nor any other medication the stops or slows intestinal motility. That keeps the toxins in.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu May 30, 2019 1:33 am

Yes its fact immodium stops the D and makes c.diff more deadly.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:12 pm

Yes that is correct. I’m sorry I was never advocating to take that. That was my first 2 weeks of cdiff when all doctors kept telling me it was a stomach bug and prescribing it to me. I ended up hospitalized within 2 weeks.

I agree very deadly and not advisable. Just saying that before I knew I had cdiff that nothing stopped the diarrhea. Nothing!

CindyP
New User

Postby CindyP » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:39 am

Kuro - you might already know this, but if you take the Pepto for more than a couple doses, just be aware that your stool will turn dark, almost black. Don't freak out that it's internal bleeding like I did. :)

Oops - just realized that the OP was from several months ago...

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”