Unsure to treat toddler

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Michelle7198
Contributor

Unsure to treat toddler

Postby Michelle7198 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:42 pm

I came here a few post down because my toddler had tested positive for cdiff but not toxins. For a while now she continued to have only mucus stools some with blood. She would have ok days and here recently had 3 good days normal stools. The pediatrician wanted her to see a GI which we did today. He said if she had mucus and diarrhea again we would treat for possible cdiff. It's hard for them to test i guess because they are in Atlanta and we are about an hr and 30mins away. We got home and she had a mucus diaper. A part of me doesn't want to treat for "possible" cdiff. I think it would be so much more severe if she had active cdiff. This doctor also said not to do florastor and cultrell together because they are the same thing. Which they aren't. He also stated that it doesn't matter how the stool sample was handled because if it set out in a diaper for awhile it would have still tested correctly. I'm just torn on what to do. When she has bad days they are really bad 7 diapers usually all mucus. But good days are formed poop with small amounts of mucus and she seems to be digesting well and not having much rapid mobility. Any advice welcomed

roy
Administrator

Re: Unsure to treat toddler

Postby roy » Thu May 23, 2019 6:13 pm

I would want another test before treating.
Samples from diapers will be contaminated with urine.
They can test using an anal swab to get a clean sample.
Treating "possible" infections is what causes c.diff!

As you know, the majority of toddlers do carry c.diff so a positive test is very common.
I would be concerned that treating for "possible" might create a relapsing cycle.
Especially if the choice was Flagyl.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:26 pm

That's exactly the way I feel. I don't want the snowball effect. I would like a test I'm going to call her doctor tomorrow and see if she can order another one here where we live.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:35 am

You need very little stool to test- like half a teaspoon. Even if the diaper is contaminated with urine, you could still scoop a small amount into a container. A PCR test would be accurate, although too accurate. If the PCR comes back positive, ask for it to be followed up by an EIA test for toxins. I would also test for other pathogens. Other bacteria can cause M as well.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri May 24, 2019 4:37 am

They dont even need half a teaspoon!
A smear on a cotton bud is enough and that's the method they use when someone has illius (cant go due to blockage/paralasis).
Stool samples are normally self collected to save time and save the adult embarrassment of having a nurse poke a swab up the patients rectum:-)
Urine can effect results of many tests, best avoided if possible.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:09 am

They tested her stool in the hospital when we were admitted for 3 days for dehydration. Nothing came back. she tested positive for Cdiff but not the toxins. We have had on and off days since then. That was May 1st when we were released. We had 3 great days formed stool and didn't even go for a day. I don't want to jump the gun and get the flagyl and treat something if it's working it's way out. I just want my baby to get better. She eats, drinks, and plays like she is fine she doesn't seem to be in any pain. She doesn't speak well yet we are working on that so she can't tell us much. This has just been a lot.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri May 24, 2019 7:38 am

Is she your only child?
Its many years since my kids were small but the memory of being knee deep some days in soiled diapers is still there!
All they seem to do is eat and poop and sometimes it seemed a lot more came out than went in.
Keep an eye on her but if she is looking well she probably is well!
Her gut flora is still maturing and I would not want to blast it with antibiotics unless they were definatley needed.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:29 am

She's my 4th and youngest. My oldest is 17, 14 and 11. I started over lol. She seems well. And i don't want to over treat or treat unless it's necessary. thank you for responding. You have always been the person I listen to.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:37 am

Flagyl is not really recommended for c difficile anymore. There is liquid vanco that is given to children. Others have used that for their children. Hopefully, she won't need it.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:13 am

So far she's only had one mucus stool since we went to gi. He only mentioned vanco if flagyl didn't work. I called and spoke to both her pediatrician and gi about only treating if test Is positive for cdiff. They sent me an order for labcorp it's about 25mins from where i am. But so far she's had only formed stools.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:20 pm

I would not bother to test unless she gets persistent D. It sounds as if she is doing better.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:38 am

That's what I was thinking. Thank you for responding.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”