Need to take antiviral meds for shingles

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Candy25
New User

Need to take antiviral meds for shingles

Postby Candy25 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:53 pm

I’ve just been diagnosed with shingles. Dr prescribed antiviral medication valacyclovir to try to keep shingles from becoming severe. Also assured me that this will have no affect on cdiff. Anyone have any problems with antiviral meds? I’ve checked the preferable medication list and only see antibiotics on it. Not antiviral, but I’m no doctor. I’d rather take nothing, but the severity of shingles and developing another type of infection as a result is a worse case scenario. I’m cdiff free for about 2 yrs.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Need to take antiviral meds for shingles

Postby NanciT » Fri May 17, 2019 9:58 pm

I had to take them a few years ago with no issues. I don't see any relation to CDIFF but always check wit your pharmacist

NanciT

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri May 17, 2019 10:59 pm

I've taken valcyclovir and acyclovir (they're essentially the same drug) over the years for cold-sore outbreaks with no problem. They aren't triggers for C. diff.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Candy25
New User

Postby Candy25 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:10 pm

Thank you for your responses....one less thing to worry about!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”