Symptomatic with negative toxins?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Alex1712
Brand New Poster

Symptomatic with negative toxins?

Postby Alex1712 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:27 am

Hi. I had a mild strain of c diff that only caused D once a day, but I was feverish, nauseous, and felt like hell for a week before i was diagnosed.

I was given a 10 day course of Vancomycin. It's been 6 weeks and I've tested negative for toxins 4 times, but my symptoms flare randomly even though I'm on probiotics and a diet of rice and bananas. I mean fever, pulse 100+, exhaustion, frequent and urgent BMs (usually just mucus), appetite so bad i have to set timers to remind me to eat and i feel full after 1 bite...

My PCR test is still positive 6 weeks later. Could i have mild c diff that's just flaring with toxins every few days? Even on my best days my stools are ragged with mucus and i usually have 2-7 a day...still zero appetite and it's often hard to eat. Gaining weight is impossible and I'm down to 95 pounds.

Probiotics seem to help a lot but they're transient. I'm planning on doing a home fmt with my tested friend soon because if this is what "cured" feels like, it's not good enough. I still can't function 6 weeks later.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Symptomatic with negative toxins?

Postby beth22 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:13 pm

I had the same thing happen and I did home fmt enemas and saw improvement.

Rusty S
Regular User

Re: Symptomatic with negative toxins?

Postby Rusty S » Wed May 22, 2019 6:18 pm

The antibiotics used for treatment reduce the quantity/variety of good bacteria along with killing the active C Diff. Unfortunately the recovery afterwards often consists of being prone to digestive upsets and periods of quasi-C-Diff symptoms caused by germinating spores not killed by treatment. This gradually goes away over, I kid you not, the next couple of years. There's a lot of improvement in the first few months as a lot of the flora has been restored, but as far as I understand, it follows the Pareto distribution: 80% of the good bacteria comes back in 20% of the time; then the last 20% you need to get back to baseline takes the remaining 80% of the recovery time. Then sometimes the new baseline doesn't consist of the same microbiome and people end up with a new food intolerance. Fun stuff, huh? But... relapse is relatively common, so it's worth another test if you've had D for more than a few days without it being at least somewhat self-resolving. Best of luck! Plenty of us have been through it, and it rocked my world enough to where I browse to try and provide advice/compassion at least once a week despite it being well over a year since I was treated.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”