Not doing so well

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
bjf
New User

Not doing so well

Postby bjf » Fri May 03, 2019 11:10 am

I don't know what is happening to me. Im 14 weeks in recovery and my anxiety is worse than ever. Didn't really have much while I was waiting for the 3 months to go by to see if I would relapse, but now I'm having what I guess are post infectious IBS symptoms any my anxiety sent me to the ER yesterday with what turned out to be a panic attack. I have mostly formed BMs with some loose ones occasionally, and some gas, bloating and discomfort, but for some reason I am freaked out. I guess I thought I would go back to normal sooner and everyday now I wait to see what I will feel. Is this too soon to expect that? I made an appointment with a therapist but can't get in until next week. The ER dr suggested I go to my PCP and get some meds. This is so foreign to me. Why would I feel more anxious now than before? Will I ever relax again? I'm watching what eat, but there doesn/t seem to be a connection. Hope you guys will help me? I can't be like this at my workplace.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Not doing so well

Postby Ril » Fri May 03, 2019 11:39 am

Unfortunately there is no easy answer and if it helps, you do know it is anxiety and you are doing the right things.
Hopefully the therapist can help you.
You might want to take the ER dr’s advice and talk to your primary dr in the meantime about meds if you can’t manage your anxiety on your own. Many posters have done that. Read through posts here. Enter anxiety into the search bar and you will find you have a lot of company and there is much discussion from others.
You can also do a search on line for relaxation and stress reduction exercises and try some and see if any of those can help you.

This illness and it’s fears are tough and stay with many of us for quite a while. It hopefully will get better as you learn to manage your feelings and see that you are really surviving.

Rita

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri May 03, 2019 12:14 pm

This poster is Robbie and Bern again!

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 pm

Bern, you reached out to me directly and am happy to help as I remember the gripping anxiety from c.diff but there's only so much people on a forum can do for you. I'd agree with the ER doctor that anti-anxiety medication may be the route to take, even temporarily, and then therapy can provide techniques to help lessen the anxiety. Sometimes anti-anxiety medication can help take the edge off of intense emotions so we can begin to think clearer.

TedGil
Regular User

Postby TedGil » Fri May 03, 2019 1:32 pm

You are not alone. Ril is right there are many who have gone thru the same thing including me. I also thought I would do better right after the Vanco but no. 2 months in I ended up in Hospital because I thought I was having heart attack which turned out to be a Anxiety attack. Which I have had several times Post-Cdiff but that was the worst. I too never had a problem with anxiety but there is truth to this gut/brain connection thing that sent me in a tailspin. I finally went on a antidepressant which took sometime to kick in but it seems to help finally. My work has been great!! They let me work from home twice a week and work only half days until end of May. Since I am a computer geek I can still be productive at home.

After 4 months I still have stomach issues, gas, bloating and formed/loose stools almost daily but nothing like when I had cdiff. It seems to be getting better one day at a time. Seeking help is a good thing because anxiety and stress can make everything 10x worse.

God Bless!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”