what is normal recovery

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
bjf
New User

what is normal recovery

Postby bjf » Wed May 01, 2019 10:58 am

I'm hoping to hear from lots of people who have been through this nightmare as my doctor is no help and I'm starting to feel like I'm going a little crazy. I knew nothing about c diff before i got this, and now 14 weeks after meds i still don"t feel normal. OF course I'm much better than I was, but i still have days where I'm and gassy and bloated, and have some abdominal discomfort. my BMs are usually ok, sometimes soft, sometimes i'm constipated. Is this all normal? I had a bout of diarrhea this weekend that only lasted a day, but I couldn't believe how anxious it made me feel. I'm kind of a computer geek, and I don't consider myself overly nervous or emotional, but this disease has affected me in a way that I've never felt before. I also like to know why things are happening the way they are and I can't seem to find much information on what my body is going through as it heals, just that it takes a long time! What is happening in my intestines? Are these lasting symptoms because of damage, or cause the gut flora isn't back yet? Why is this taking so long? Normally you take the antibiotic and you feel better. Hope you guys will give me lots of answers, so I can calm myself the heck down. otherwise I worry I might need anti anxiety meds, and I won't be able to do the work I do on them.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: what is normal recovery

Postby Musings » Wed May 01, 2019 12:38 pm

If you read through many of the posts here, you will soon realize that there is no normal recovery and everyone is a little different. What isn't abnormal is experiencing some GI issues post-infection which is commonly called PI-IBS (or Post-Infectious IBS) which can last for a few weeks, months, or for some become a part of a new "normal" after c.diff.

There is also some research into a mind/gut connection and appears that anxiety is common during and after c.diff for many people, myself included. I opted to go into therapy and used anti-anxiety medication to get myself back on the right track mentally. There are also plenty of options for anti-anxiety medication so if you go that route, and are worried about the impact on your job, that is a discussion you should have with a medical professional to see what may/may not work best for you.

TedGil
Regular User

Postby TedGil » Wed May 01, 2019 2:41 pm

You are not alone. I am over 4 months in and I still have GI troubles just like you described. Not sure when that will go away but yes it is getting better. I usually have some tummy discomfort most days but nothing like I used to. It all depends on what I eat, what medications or supplements I take, stress of the day all factor in. I chose to go Gluten and Diary free, well almost dairy free, I do put some cream in my decaf coffee..LOL.

After 2 1/2 months I did go on a antidepressant which has helped. Its a vicious cycle, your anxious about getting C.Diff again which causes one to be somewhat of a germaphobe which causes more anxiousness. The list goes on and before you know it your in the hospital thinking your having a heart attack but turns out its anxiety. This is what happened to me so I reached out for help. I still have GI issues and my BMs are all over the place but this I know being Anxious and stressed out makes it twice as bad at least for me. Post-Infectious IBS is not fun at times but I know one thing I do not have to let it effect me like it used to.

Anyways, like Musings said there are many options available if you choose to investigate them.

God Bless and I hope you feel better :-)

bjf
New User

Postby bjf » Wed May 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Thank you, Ted, you made me feel so much better. i felt like i was losing it. do you still worry about relapse? i was told that after 3 months you are ok, but some say different. i was holding on to that 3 month mark....
Does anyone take anything for the IBS?

TedGil
Regular User

Postby TedGil » Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 pm

They say after 3 months it is not defined as a relapse but as a re-infection. C.Diff survivors are always at a higher risk then others. Just have to be cautious and make sure you are well informed. Always be an affricate for your own health with doctors who don't quite understand what you went thru or who are not well informed about C.Diff. If you don't have a GI then I would recommend getting one that will work with you. Most of all keep using this support group. Some members have been participating for many years and probably know more about all things C.Diff then most health professional.

Yes, I still have in the back of mind possibly getting c.diff again but I do not stress about so much anymore. I think everyone in this group thinks about it sometime or another. My GI told me that the longer a person does not relapse the odds get significantly lower. Unless the person takes an antibiotic especially the ones that at a higher risk will increase ones chances.

I heard of some taking antispasmodic drugs for IBS and I know there are some others but I choose not to take them because they have many side effects. I don't need to add anymore stuff to the mix I am already on. I think time, eating foods that do not cause your stomach undo stress, good sleep and just generally taking it slow. I remember Roy giving an example of a 12 inch burn on your leg would you start putting alcohol or those things that might irritate it probably not. So why would one do that after having cdiff coupled with the antibiotics to treat it.

Anyways, I am probably being a little long winded so I will stop. Oh by the way I am also a Computer Geek...LOL

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Fri May 03, 2019 4:56 pm

I was diagnosed in December, 2018 and took a round a Vanco. Overall, my recovery has been good, but I have had some post- infection IBS issues like bloating, gas, and tenesmus. Those post-IBS symptoms have improved a lot over the last couple months and I’m thankful for that.

I've always been level headed. I’m in a very high stress profession and I’ve always been good at dealing with stress and pressure. But c. diff has caused me a lot of anxiety and mental distress that is very out of character for me. I’m fully convinced that gut health is directly linked to mental health.

My anxiety is mostly due to the fact that I'm scared of my wife and 2 year old son getting c. diff. Part of the problem is that my GI doctor never seems to give me a straight answer so I have to do my own research. This site has helped.

I know that I'm at risk of getting c. diff again if I ever need to take another antibiotic. But I try to stay optimistic. The problem with wide spread c. diff infections is relatively new and there is a lot of research going into developing a cure. Pfizer currently has a vaccine in a stage three trial https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show ... 007&rank=1 I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's successful and we'll have a cure soon.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”