Toddler recently diagnosed

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Michelle7198
Contributor

Toddler recently diagnosed

Postby Michelle7198 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:47 am

Not new to cdiff. I lurk here from my bout with it 4yrs ago. My daughter was diagnosed today. I hope it's self limiting but she does have fever and lack of appetite and of course diarrhea. I know about everything adult related. If any one can offer any advise for toddler related, I'd appreciate it. Thank you

Michelle

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Toddler recently diagnosed

Postby Musings » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:57 am

Did your daughter recently take antibiotics or had a stay in a hospital? Many infants, and younger children, naturally have c.diff so I'd want to ensure that it is c.diff causing her issues and not something else.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:50 am

She had 2 rocephin shots. I just talked to the doctor and they want to not treat and see if it will work it's self out. I'm a little worried since at its highest tee fever was 104.2. I believe the iv fluids have helped keep it down. She's still going diarrhea and hasn't ate. She did nurse and drink a little water. This approach is new to me considering she's having all the symptoms of active cdiff but not producing toxins per the test

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:08 pm

Do you mean she was positive PCR or GDH test but neg for toxins?

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:02 pm

On her paper work out says EIA negative. They seem to feel confident with that diagnosis took down gown and glove stuff

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:26 pm

She was positive on pcr. It's says (A) detected then EIA negative

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:32 am

I had that for over two years and the hospital and doctor consider that to be a negative test as it is not an active infection. Was she tested for any other pathogens via a regular stool culture?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 01, 2019 2:12 am

As Beth said, that's a negative test result!
Thankfully you have a knowlagable Dr (or lab tech) who read it correctly.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:01 am

Yes i agree Roy. It's just so odd this came after the shots of rocephin and the diarrhea is yellow and smelly. I can't get her to eat or drink. She will nurse thankfully. Her fever finally came down. I'm just so confused when it presents like cdiff. Is there a chance of a false negative on EIA? Thank you Roy for answering. You helped me through my cdiff. It was your advice that helped me not over treat.
All other test came back negative

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed May 01, 2019 12:33 pm

A lot of things present similar to c.diff including stomach bugs (had one where I swore I had c.diff again but it passed in about 5 days), other pathogens, or maybe a reaction to the injection that is not c.diff. With a negative test, I would be focused on trying to figure out what the actual issue is and try to stop comparing it to c.diff.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:37 pm

Right which is what's worried me is nothing else showed up. I don't want to compare and for sure don't want it to be cdiff. It's just hard not getting a diagnosis. I just want her to get better.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:12 am

Is it possible that she has developed gluten sensitivity? What about dairy? Does she only nurse or does she have any dairy products?

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:37 am

I wanted to do a better post now that I have my computer. I'm not good with txting on my phone.. It's just not my thing,

Lyanna was running a low grade fever and and diarrhea she wasn't eating and we really couldn't get her to drink. She would nurse though. She went to ER and they did every test they could all came back neg. They didn't do a stool test then because to me she had only mushy stools and they weren't very frequent. The second day she ran a low grade fever still and we couldn't get her to eat or drink again. I gave her a bath and seconds after getting her out she had a febrile seizure. her fever spiked to 104.2. I couldn't get it down with tylenol. We went back to ER and after being there for hours. Doctor said Ear infection.. I was like no, I'll take her to her doctor in morning. By morning the diapers and picked up and they smelled so bad and were starting to become more frequent and so much gas. She wasn't eating or drinking and she wasn't playing she just laid in my arms. Her doctor decided to admit her to give fluids. Right before hospital she had a diaper that was all blood. so we rushed down where we had to wait because they were very busy and didn't have a room. She had one more blood diaper in waiting room and we went up. They started fluids and gave tylenol and did stool sample. The only thing that came back was cdiff. I am glad they take the wait and see approach it was just after all of that I just wanted her back to herself. I wanted an answer. They took her off fluids and were hoping she could go home.. She once again got lethargic and was having back to back diarrhea and I still couldn't get her to eat or drink. So back on the fluids. Her fever did go down during this time. We left the hospital Wed. She finally drank, ate and got up out of the bed! she has had a regular color mushy poop, and a few mucus only. Still no diagnosis. I am glad they don't jump to treat as I believe there is a lot of over treatment of cdiff. But It seemed so much like she needed it. I just wanted her to be better. I am going to continue to watch her and her doctor said to let her know if we see anymore blood. I just wanted to give a better update. Thank ya'll for all your help.

Michelle

Beth, She doesn't drink dairy at all just nursing still and any other drink. some times almond milk but that's rare right now.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”