what does this mean?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
bjf
New User

what does this mean?

Postby bjf » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:35 am

just joined this site, here is my brief backstory. I'm 56 years old and got c diff from a long course of antibiotics for all kinds of things, mostly probably unnecessary as my family doctor gives them out like candy. What a mistake on my part, and the reason i don't really trust her when it comes to treating c diff. I'm planning on finding a new doctor. I failed flagyl and then insisted on a vanco taper that i had to educate her about. I just passed 13 weeks off the meds and except for some gas, bloating and some discomfort.i also have some constipation now, which beats diarhea anyday. i guess I'm doing well. I've been trying to get in with a good GI, and finally got in yesterday because of a cancellation ( otherwise i was looking at months!). I learned so much, but really haven't seen much of what she told me on this site. After my inept PCP, i leary of doctors. Many of you seem to know more. Here's what she said:
1) it can take at least 6 months to heal. You all talk about healing....what does that mean? What exactly happens to the intestines after c diff?
2) i mentioned to her what my remaining symptoms were and she said that the cdiff toxin leaves the intestine scarred and stiff, and the gas and food have a hard time moving through and why different positions of the body might bring greater pain as the intestines are kinked. maybe that answers my first question?
3) i will remain susceptible to relapse if i need antibiotics in the future. is the true? i've read that everyone gets rid of the spores eventually. she gave me a script for vanco to take along with any antibiotics should i need to. are we never free of this?
4) and finally....no colonoscopies for a long time unless urgent. i had a normal one 5 years ago.
I'll stop here. There's more but i'll save them for another post.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: what does this mean?

Postby Musings » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:57 am

Hard to say what your doctor meant as far as healing but some people never go back to "normal" after c.diff as some are left with food intolerances that did not exist before but would agree that it can take many months, if not longer, to get to a better place after the infection.

Not sure about c.diff causing scars, stiffness, or kinks.

Some people remain carriers while others fully shed the spores but there is some backing that we are more susceptible to getting the infection again under the right circumstances which is why it's good to ensure that antibiotics are actually needed and trying to get a more targeted antibiotic versus a broad-spectrum.

5 years sounds like a long time to avoid a colonoscopy after c.diff. I would get one soon after because the prep alone can upset the GI balance but 5 years seems like a bit of a stretch.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:03 am

It does indeed sound as though you'd benefit from having a different doctor -- perhaps both a new PCP AND a GI doctor.

As to your questions: others may have a different take on this, but I think the term "healing" is too vague to be useful. C. diff is an infection; as far as I know, no structural damage to intestines or colon occurs, though there may be some inflammation due to the infection. I've never heard of an "explanation" about body positions such as your doctor provided and I tend to think it's a bunch of gobbledygook.

C. diff "spores" are always in the environment; one is never "rid" of them, only more or less susceptible. As to susceptibility: EVERYONE is susceptible in connection with antibiotics, especially the wide-spectrum ones. They are massively overprescribed and should be reserved only when truly necessary -- not, e.g., "preventively" as is done in many dental scenarios, or given for colds or other viral symptoms. The problem of overprescribing is so rampant that many major healthcare facilities now have so-called antibiotic-stewardship programs whose aim is to try and curtail the excesses of prescribing.

Colonoscopy is not a risk factor for C. diff or its recurrence, though you may want to wait until you've been C. diff-free for a period of time, mainly for your own comfort, since the colonoscopy prep involves intentional triggering of diarrhea.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

bjf
New User

Postby bjf » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:33 pm

Thank you for responding. i didnt mean that ive waited 5 years after cdiff for a colonoscopy. ive only been in recovery a little over 3 months and she dosen't want me to have one for a few more months.
As for the intestinal healing. i don't think she meant there was actual structural changes, just that the toxins irritate and inflame the tissue so much that it take a long while for them to be soft and pliable again; hence why people can get pain and gurgling afterward. The way that everyone on this site mentions healing and damage i tend to think she's right. Thoughts?

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:59 am

Healing is for sure longer. Cdiff isn't your typical viral condition that improves like you never had it. You will have to heal. Your bacteria need to build and become close to what it was. I say close because I never believe it fully returns to the days before cdiff. She is correct about relapse. cdiff was in your gut long before antibiotics were in your system. The antibiotics just woke them up to make you sick your bodies reaction was get rid of them.. Hence the D. I wouldn't do the colonoscopy unless necessary. That total gut clean out and their nasty equipment would scare me any day. But I know for some it's something you can't avoid. Give yourself time and EAT you need to introduce your gut to more bacteria wash your hands and do your best to keep your self well. Your doctor doesn't sound horrible..and most of them do hand out antibiotics like candy even the good ones. You are your first line of defense when it comes to your health. speak up and speak loud and be heard. That is one thing I have learned from this. After all it is called practicing medicine

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:41 am

A good doctor wouldn't hand out antibiotics like candy. Also, C. diff isn't a viral condition, either typical or atypical; it's a bacterial infection.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:38 pm

Just as a point of fact, you don’t routinely need a colonoscopy after c diff unless you are having symptoms of a possible serious pathology that can’t be diagnosed by other means. So if you have had a normal colonoscopy 5 years ago and no GI pathology is suspected now other than you are recovering from c diff, I would seriously question why you are even considering having a colonoscopy. I had one 9 mos-1 year later for severe symptoms that suggested other disease, not c diff follow up and my dr even waited trying to rule out by other means.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”