Bladder antibiotics

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
midway
New User

Bladder antibiotics

Postby midway » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:30 am

Hi all, I continue to lurk since my C diff infection over two years ago. Some of you might recall that I am a quadriplegic so I have a few unique aspects to my constant fear of individuals C diff return.

I have an indwelling catheter, which is always a possible source of infection. I'm sure that I always straddle the line of infection, which I mitigate with probiotics, cranberry supplements, and slamming water. I was considering trying a silver-coated catheter for its antimicrobial benefits. Would anyone be willing to project whether its antibacterial performance could reach into gut flora?

roy
Administrator

Re: Bladder antibiotics

Postby roy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:26 pm

I would expect the antibacterial action would be limited to the actual surface of the catheter and that surface is a huge infection risk for someone who has to use one constantly.
Antibacterial materials stop bacteria sticking to them and growing and are not the same as antibiotics that are systemic
Probably worth considering but you know a lot more about it than any of us!

Michelle7198
Contributor

Re: Bladder antibiotics

Postby Michelle7198 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:50 am

I know that sometimes foreign objects in the body are necessary. I think with any thing you will have a risk, With your situation that area is already very sensitive so I wouldn't be sure one would be any different than the other. JMO as I have no experience with catheters other than when I had my kids. I would almost rather pee myself LOL

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”