Mastitis, Doxycycline and chance of relapse

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Michelle7198
Contributor

Mastitis, Doxycycline and chance of relapse

Postby Michelle7198 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:59 pm

It was 2014 that I had cdiff. I was able to complete a round of Flagyl and test positive a week later and didn't treat again because I did feel it was necessary.I lurk here always when I have issues.Everybody was such great help. Fast forward to now I have had a child and she is 2 and still breastfeeding I noticed I was getting mastitis saturday. I tried really hard to do what I could and not go to er but the pain was so horrible like I had the flu. I went sunday and he wanted to give me Augmentn. I declined and asked for Doxy. I figured between all the other stuff hopefully it would be able to clear the mastitis. I do feel a little better but I don't know if it's strong enough to get the job done. My bowel movements have already changed I am sure due to the doxy, florastor, sunflower lectin and vitamin c I am taking. Has anybody relapsed on Doxy? Does anybody have any tips and tricks to handle this mastitis? I am on my second full day of pills. I'm thinking about stopping at day 7. Thank you for any help or advice

Michelle

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Mastitis, Doxycycline and chance of relapse

Postby Musings » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Any antibiotic comes with a risk of c.diff but I believe Doxy is a lower offender. Also note that a lot of antibiotic-related diarrhea is not c.diff and tends to resolve after the antibiotics are finished.

I would consult your doctor before prematurely stopping any course of antibiotic.

Don't have any personal experience with mastitis so can't help you on that front but hope you feel better soon.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Musings wrote:
> Any antibiotic comes with a risk of c.diff but I believe Doxy is a lower
> offender. Also note that a lot of antibiotic-related diarrhea is not c.diff
> and tends to resolve after the antibiotics are finished.
>
> I would consult your doctor before prematurely stopping any course of
> antibiotic.
>
> Don't have any personal experience with mastitis so can't help you on that
> front but hope you feel better soon.

Yea I'm not going to stop unless I am going to get another one. The only one I would try next is a zpak. But I am hoping the one I am on does the trick

Spring
New User

Postby Spring » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 pm

I had mastitis years ago and my doctor told me to keep nursing as much as possible. Also, vitamin C (as you Know) can help. Good luck!

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:48 pm

Yes I'm going to do a maintenance dose of vitamin c when this is clear. I'd do just about anything to not go through this again.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:35 am

Try not to take high amounts of Vitamin C , stick to the normal dose of 250 mg . Taking more , might give you discomfort in your guts and sometimes D.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:59 am

I took doxycycline without relapse and so did my mom. She was on it for almost a month and did not relapse.

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:50 am

Hopefully that will be what happens with me. The mastitis seems to be clearing.

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Please let me know how this goes. I was in the hospital when I was 9 months pregnant and ended up catching c diff while there. I had a relapse when my baby girl was 1 week old. I had a few complications with the end of my pregnancy and her birth, nothing TOO serious, but I did have to take antibiotics. Now I am healthy and so is my daughter, but I have a fear of needing to go on antibiotics again. I’m breastfeeding and am so scared of getting mastitis!

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:18 pm

So far so good. It seemed to clear up the mastitis, along with hot showers with massage. I also used cabbage leaf on the one boob, took sunflower letchin, nursed often. Also just to let you know the 2 times I have had clogged milk ducts have been from heavy repetitive lifting. Of course once 2 months pass I will feel better because you have a chance of relapse for 2 months after antibiotics. I am trying to remind myself every day to take my probiotics and florastor and drink some keifer. But as a mom you know we forget about our selves so easily. It's actually scary how the doctor at first was not going to let me try the doxy. because he was bent on the augmenten but I did my research and saw it had been used for Mastitis before. If you have any questions please ask.

Michelle

Megs423
Brand New Poster

Postby Megs423 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:31 pm

How is it going?

I have to start doxy after fighting a sinus infection for two months. Have been nervous, but this makes me hopeful!

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:46 am

Doing ok as of right now. Sometimes I pay attention to my stomach more than usual and it does seem a little off right now. No D though. Just not my normal feeling tummy. So I'm going to get myself back on track with the probiotics, keifer, and florastor to make sure I'm giving my gut what it needs to recover. I also have been eating a lot of candy which isn't good because of the sugar, but easter candy is my weakness. Hopefully I am in the clear. But I feel as if you never really know. Its a different life us cdiff people live that most don't understand. Sending you good vibes!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”