Night sweats

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
dunerkat
New User

Night sweats

Postby dunerkat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:52 am

My last bout was in September, 2018 and treatment was several courses of Vanco including a long taper. I have had night sweats for months. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem. The ID provider told me to see my PCP, who is trying to tell me it is hot flashes due to menopause. I had a hysterectomy nearly 20 years ago and know this isn't hot flashes.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Night sweats

Postby Ril » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:12 am

It may be nothing but night sweats can be symptoms of many things and you are uncomfortable. I personally would get a second opinion to put my mind at ease.

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Do you have new or worsening anxiety post CDiff? I have terrible night sweats and my docs attribute it to my anxiety. It could be even worse if you're on anxiety or depression meds.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:25 pm

It doesn't make sense that on the one hand night sweats would be chalked up to anxiety while on the other the doctor (or you) are speculating they could be worsened by anxiety meds. Never heard of antidepressants causing this symptom either.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

sammyp
Contributor

Postby sammyp » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:08 am

What doesn't make sense about it? Cymbalta caused me the worst night sweats I've ever had. It was ultimately the reason I went off it. Anxiety in general has given me night sweats for years, long before CDiff and certain medications exacerbated it.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:24 am

I shouldn't have said "it doesn't make sense." That said, sweating isn't a known side-effect of anxiety meds (vs. anxiety itself), which isn't to say it couldn't happen. Antidepressants, e.g., Cymbalta, on the other hand, are known to cause sweating.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”