Question about Dificid Side Effects

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ShannonS
New User

Question about Dificid Side Effects

Postby ShannonS » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:07 pm

I just started Dificid yesterday morning. I’m 3 doses in to my 10 days, and I was just curious about some side effects. I suffer from insomnia so I didn’t go to sleep until this morning around 4am, but usually I still wake up after 4-5 hours. Well except for waking up at 10am to take my pill, I slept hard, around 12 hours and I still feel exhausted. Is it normal to be so exhausted?

I also feel dizzy when I stand up and walk, still have loss of appetite, and I still have D, mostly now after I eat, and I still have the urgency. Still have M, and it’s yellow when I wipe. I know I just started this medicine, but was just curious if this all was normal.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question about Dificid Side Effects

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:11 pm

I have not taken Dificid, but I know it takes the toxins a few days to leave the body. The antibiotics (none of them) kill the toxin, just the bacteria. I usually did not get relief until about 4 days after starting vanco. I assume it is probably similar with Dificid. Hopefully, someone who has taken it will comment.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Check in with your physician or pharmacist if you think your symptoms are due to this new medication. If you look it up, generally it causes nausea, vomiting, and various GI symptoms. If you continue with dizziness, ask your MD to check electrolytes. I drank "Smart Water" which has electrolytes in it You should see some change in D after 2-3 days.

I was on Dificid for 10 days with no symptoms. I then went on a long taper and did not feel well at all on it, but it did rid me of CDIFF!!

Wishing you the best!

NanciT

foots
Regular Contributor

Postby foots » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:05 am

I did a Dificid with a Rifaximin chaser 3 yrs ago...the Dificid made me feel dizzy the first time I took it...Rifaximin hurt my stomach a lot but no more c-diff ever since!!

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:56 am

I looked back at my experiences with Dificid.

On Sept 2, 2017, I took Vancomycin three times that day, had semi-soft stools.

On Sept 3, 2017, I switched to Dificid twice (bid), no reactions, semi-soft stools. (Dificid Day 1)

On Sept 4, 2017, semi-solid stools, no reactions. (Dificid Day 2)

On Sept 5, 2017, semi-soft stools. (Dificid Day 3)

On Sept 6, 2017, semi-solid, more formed stools. (Dificid Day 4)

On Sept 7, 2017, semi-soft stools, increased bowel discomfort and constipation. (Dificid Day 5)

On Sept 8, 2017, formed stools, later was runny. (Dificid Day 6)

On Sept 9, 2017, semi-soft, later had formed stools. (Dificid Day 7)

On Sept 10, 2017, semi-soft. (Dificid Day 8)

On Sept 11, 2017, semi-solid. (Dificid Day 9)

On Sept 12, 2017, semi-solid, later had solid stools. (Dificid Day 10)

On Sept 13, 2017, firm stools. (No Dificid Day 1)

On Sept 14, 2017, solid stools but constipated, feel good. (No Dificid Day 2)

We are all different, so my daily experiences could differ considerably from others, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post. I have heart failure, among other things and I have found that keeping a detailed log has really helped me in my recoveries!

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Spring
New User

Postby Spring » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 pm

I was diagnosed with cdiff in February and took Vancomycin. While I had active diarrhea for those two weeks, I felt very dizzy and didn’t sleep much. I was also dehydrated. Have you been drinking plenty?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”